Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always used Mobil 1 5/20 since my second oil change. I have 17,000 miles. Typical Coyote motor...i go through a quart every 1200 miles. Today, i switched to 5/30 my mechanic said the heavier oil might help with the consumption. Although it feels slower, is it me??

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have always used Mobil 1 5/20 since my second oil change. I have 17,000 miles. Typical Coyote motor...i go through a quart every 1200 miles. Today, i switched to 5/30 my mechanic said the heavier oil might help with the consumption. Although it feels slower, is it me??
The heavier oil might help some with consumpton, but I'd be concerned with the thicker oil trying to go through the passages for the VVT. IMO I'd install an air/oil separator on the passenger side pcv and just let it catch the oil.
On my LS1 cars, a lot of us switch to Mobil 1 5/40 and it helped a lot, but that's an entirely different engine, but still gives you an idea. Before 5/40 my air/oil separator would catch probably 3x the amount of 5/20 or 5/30.

·
Registered
131 Posts
5w-30 will not hurt your VVT solenoids or cause you to get any noticeable MPG change its perfectly fine for your car. If its burning a quart every 1200 miles that exceeds fords standard of a quart every 1500 so I'd get it looked at. And if they tell you it's a quart every 1000 they are lying to you fords is 1 for 1500.

·
Registered
453 Posts
30 is fine ... remember, Track pack cars use 5w-50 and the engines are the same with only the addition of an oil cooler and upgraded radiator.

·
Registered
525 Posts
That weight is fine,,just DONT change the first number,,you need that 5 to get to the top at start up

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

That weight is fine,,just DONT change the first number,,you need that 5 to get to the top at start up
They say ford recommends 5 w20 ,and 5w30 may drop your fuel mileage,,I would use synthetic personally..I use 5w30 mobile 1 synthetic

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I run Royal Purple 5w-20 and a RP oil filter since I changed the factory slop out at 1500 miles. I now am at 6500 miles on my car and have 5000 miles on my last oil change. I have yet to burn a drop of oil. I thoroughly enjoy my 5.0 too, it is not babied at all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
For real!! I haven't heard anything about these 5.0's burning so much oil. My 4.6 is a non-issue in regards burning any oil between oil changes. Do I need to start checking the oil every 1500 miles??

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I try to check mine every 1000-1500 but it has yet to change. It's still good to check. And I always keep a quart with me because you never know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts