Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Hey, i recently got a 66 mustang and for some reason it doesnt haul ***, i mean its a v8 but if i floor it the alternator pops a lil bit and it takes a lil bit of time to speed up. the engine is rebuilt and the car is completely stock i dont want to modify much cause i wanna keep it all original but i would like to know if anyone knows what maybe wrong with the car i mean do i have to run it a bit or maybe the timing is off or ..... i dont know i know many old cars have power in them but mine just wont take off as i expected its a 289 engine and its real clean and nice thats just the only thing i cant figure out, why it wont burn out.. please help......Thank You..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Those Mustangs just didnt have much power back then. You had to buy the "Hi-Po" V8 to get 271 Horsepower.
Todays Mustang V6 is more powerful than your V8.
You are going to need some mods like a set of headers, electronic ignition, a different camshaft and a 4 barrell carburetor and intake manifold. Maybe even some hhigh compression heads. You are looking at lots of money.
I would just drive it and enjoy it for waht it is- a classic. And buy a neweer Mustang for the performance driving.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts