Mustang Evolution Forum banner

181 - 200 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
I'll post some tomorrow.

Im going to finally register the car in our name, and am thinking about getting a custom name plate, any suggestions? So far I've got

Getdown
Bigbird
Bgbdbrd (big bad bird)
Lowbird

Any others? I'm really not that big of a fan of custom plates but my dad wants one.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I'll post some tomorrow.

Im going to finally register the car in our name, and am thinking about getting a custom name plate, any suggestions? So far I've got

Getdown
Bigbird
Bgbdbrd (big bad bird)
Lowbird

Any others? I'm really not that big of a fan of custom plates but my dad wants one.
66TBIRD
Here are some more...
The NEW 2002 Ford Thunderbird plates

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Other news, ditching the triangulated four link, there's just room for it. I'm going to go with a parallel 4 link with a panhard bar. The leaf spring mount on the front bolted on so I'm going to make a mount that will bolt on in the same location. It's a bit tricky with the tbird, the old leafs were triangulated, sorta lol they're closer in the front than the back. So the frame is bent, also there is a relief notch in the frame which I'm assuming was for the leaf, but that notch is right in the way for the angle mount for the upper control arm. So essentially I'd have to box the frame, and cut the floor out to make room for the mount and then somehow attach everything together. Or make a mount, which will be a lot easier so going with that.

Still haven't gotten the transmission out because well, I forgot where I took my measurements from so I have to re assemble everything and make sure I have the axle set properly before I do any final welding on the mount. Kinda sucks that I can basically only work on the car Friday's and the metal shop isn't open weekends. But plan is getting it all assembled this weekend, including the engine.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I always do.
It seems to make a smoother running, longer lasting engine.
Balancing the rotating assembly is just taking the build a step further than the assembly line at Ford did. They didn't have the time to balance the crank, flywheel/flexplate, and balancer all as one component. Or check each rod and piston for weight and balance.
If you decide to have it balanced, I recommend purchasing a new balancer, and depending on the condition of the old flexplate, perhaps a new one of those also.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Hmmm well i think balancing the crank/flywheel/balancer isn't going to happen, Maybe rods and Pistons. I was always wonder how it works if you balance everything, still use stock everything? Or do they have to add/take away weights? Like on the balancer and fly wheel? The fly wheel looks brand new too, the balancer will probably be replaced.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Hmmm well i think balancing the crank/flywheel/balancer isn't going to happen, Maybe rods and Pistons. I was always wonder how it works if you balance everything, still use stock everything? Or do they have to add/take away weights? Like on the balancer and fly wheel? The fly wheel looks brand new too, the balancer will probably be replaced.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Ideally, they try to remove material to do the balancing rather than add weight.
Everything is balanced separately, and you are using all of the original parts, other than the pistons, so it should be balanced about the same as when it left the factory.
You could actually "balance" the rods and pistons yourself if you have a suitable scale to weigh them. Basically, you just weigh the pistons and find the lightest one. Then remove material from the other pistons to match the weight of that piston.
Pretty much the same thing for the rods. Only when the "pro's" do it, they put the rods in a fixture and weigh each end of the rods and try to get them all to match. As well as matching the total weight of the rods.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Still deciding if I'm going to balance everything. School is getting pretty tough now, so haven't had as much time as I've wanted. And waiting to put the engine together as a family, with my dad and brother since this is a father sons project. Anyways made some decent progress on the rear end. Got some 4x4 tube and cut it down to make a mount that bolts to the frame where the original leaf spring mount was. And then got some 1.75 square tube to connect the two mounts together. Still need to make a loop for the drive shaft/exhaust. And best of all, these mounts allow me to use the triangulated four link! I'll be able to mount the weld the upper mount. Only bad thing was I cut up one bracket to only to realize I didn't need too

Here's the mount on the car ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1460426419.000335.jpg
Only issue is that the upper mount will cover the holes for bolts. But I'll figure that out after.

And here's what it looks like minus the holes. Didn't have time to finish this one up yet but should be done by next weekend. ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1460426594.820140.jpg

And here's how she sits now. ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1460426644.962268.jpg

As soon as I finish up with the rear I'll order the shocks and then get her back on her feet! Can't wait

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Well, still haven't gotten any further on any of the other projects lol but got the front spring taken out and mounted the wheel so I can see how low I want to go and how much clearance I have for rims and tires hopefully I'll be able to get this low ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1461296321.891527.jpg sorry for the crappy picture a little cramped in my garage.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Wellllllll still nothing lol. But my dad has said that all he wants for fathers day is to take the car for a spin. Which isn't too far out of the question. Luckily there's a tbird parts warehouse 20 min from my house. Got the driver side front suspension all taken off and am bead blasting them and about to paint them then rebuild them. Had to order another bracket from welder series for the four link I cut up the one the sent me before I realized I'd still be able to go with the triangulated 4 link. I also a screwed up one of the cam bearings installing it. So going to have to order another set and then the engine should go back together pretty quick have all the parts sitting on my bench.

I do have a few questions,

One do I need to have the axle at ride hight before I weld all the brackets on? Or can I just match it up to my measurements?

And any one know what/how to measure for what bags I need? I'm thinking I want to go an inch or two lower from stock to begin with. Any guidance with this would be greatly appreciated. No idea what todo when it comes to air ride.

181 - 200 of 340 Posts