Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 40 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah everything seems to be in okay shape just covered in dried oil haha I had to beat the distributor out with a hammer and couldn't even get a push rod out because it was so caked in that stuff.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Here are some pictures of it
You know this generation of T-Birds ('64, '65, '66) were the first Fords with sequential tail lights. Three years before the Cougars.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
... and that's where the fun started...I let the pictures do the talking...
Back in those days, the second hand owners thought these motors took care of themselves. :facepalm:

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Lol.
That's what an original engine from the sixties is supposed to look like inside.
That is the result of a combination of using 165 degree thermostats and the oil formulation of the era.

How do the cylinders look Travis?

·
Registered
457 Posts
You know this generation of T-Birds ('64, '65, '66) were the first Fords with sequential tail lights. Three years before the Cougars.

It's amazing how many think they started with Mustangs. Hands down its my favorite part of my Cougar.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Didn't know they started it, but I did know it had them! Well at least the two bulbs that worked haha

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Back in those days, the second hand owners thought these motors took care of themselves. :facepalm:

Clearly haha it cleaning up pretty good so far tho

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Lol.

That's what an original engine from the sixties is supposed to look like inside.

That is the result of a combination of using 165 degree thermostats and the oil formulation of the era.

How do the cylinders look Travis?

Well surprisingly my 6. Wasn't even close to this bad. Well maybe the coolant passages but the oil parts were pretty much spotless

And cylinders look good. No major scratches or surface rust. I looked at them with a borescope before I pulled the motor and they looked good. I would have left the engine in if it didn't need freeze plugs

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Cool car... You (or at least I don't) see very many of them.

390 is maybe my favorite motor, I had a 66 Galaxie for awhile with a 390 and Dad has had a couple of them in his 76 F150.

That's kinda why I got it. Not to many around

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well got the Pistons out tonight. It looks like it needs to be bored and crank needs to be polished. Bearings showing some uneven wear

·
Registered
457 Posts
You'll need to find casting numbers on it, they should have a date code. From there you'll get close but the motor could've been built long before the car. Someone else can probably give you more detail.

I've also heard that on at least Mustangs and Cougars, the car serial number was stamped into the block. I've never tried looking for it on my Cougar.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
You'll need to find casting numbers on it, they should have a date code. From there you'll get close but the motor could've been built long before the car. Someone else can probably give you more detail.

I've also heard that on at least Mustangs and Cougars, the car serial number was stamped into the block. I've never tried looking for it on my Cougar.

Yeah know about the Mustangs having that. Just didn't know if it was the same for thunderbirds. I'll post pictures of the casting numbers soon

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
By the looks of that engine, I would bet that you are the first person to remove it from the car.
I don't think that you would have been able to get all of the gunk out of the water jackets by flushing the system.

Are there any oversize numbers stamped on the tops of the pistons?

The serial numbers on FE blocks are down by where the starter is located.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
By the looks of that engine, I would bet that you are the first person to remove it from the car.
I don't think that you would have been able to get all of the gunk out of the water jackets by flushing the system.

Are there any oversize numbers stamped on the tops of the pistons?

The serial numbers on FE blocks are down by where the starter is located.

The gunk wasn't really hard more goopy but either way it's outs and get some much needed love. And as far as I could tell no numbers anywhere besides the rods being stamped.

21 - 40 of 340 Posts