Mustang Evolution Forum banner

121 - 140 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
I was popped for $850 to punch a 289 .040" over, cut the crank, line bore it and cut the valves. This was done by a local guy who had been doing rage engines for 30+ years but I'd imagine that's roughly the ballpark figure. He also hot tanked it and installed the cam bearings

Smoke tires not drugs

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Stray, is it worth the drive? If I can't find anything good around me then I don't mind a little drive.

And the top end kit comes with a carb

And yeah I guess I'll just have to start calling around to see what people say.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
It is worth the drive to me... And I am 100 more miles away from Morgan Hill than you are!

I am going to take another 460 engine to them soon, and have it machined. Basically the same thing that you are planning to do to your 390. I can let you know how much all of the required machining costs at that time. I had a Teksid engine machined a year or so ago and I think that it ended up costing around what BA68 paid, If I remember correctly. That Teksid required two sleeves being replaced also.

Anyway, the shop is APM Engines. The owner's name is Felix and the phone number is 408-778-3688.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
So called that place and for

Cleaning
Bore/hone
Deck
Resize rods
Polish crank

Total is 675, not bad really.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I don't know why I was thinking rebuild kit, when you clearly said "top end kit". Lol

You will probably want to have the rotating assembly balanced while you are at it.
I've always felt that Felix is reasonably priced, and does quality work.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I did comp rollers, the die cast aluminum ones, I think they were 160 plus guide plates and pushrods. I went with rollers after I snapped the factory press in stud of the no. 5 exhaust

Smoke tires not drugs

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I hope so.

New question, what should I do about the rockers? Rebuild stock ones?
Are they pressed in rocker studs? If so, spend the little $ to get them threaded. I went with roller tips and standard pivot. If you got the $$ full roller are probably best.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
They are screw (bolt) in ones. And I can't find much for the Fe's for under 1000. Well name brand ones. So I'm just going to have the stock ones rebuilt and then if I want to upgrade later it's easy enough to do in the car

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Well ordered a couple things last night,

Top end kit

Booster and mc

Universal triangular 4 link kit for the rear

And a power probe master kit to get all the electrical stuff working

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
You'll love the Power Probe. It's awesome and a must have with these old cars.

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Yeah I took an automotive electrical corse and that's all we would use glad I finally got one

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Well apparently I have a 390 that had 10.5:1 compression. Is this a rare block? And the guy that's building the block said that I I should get some dished pistons or else I'll get dieseling and have problems with detention. Is that a valid concern?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Is APM doing the work? Did Felix tell you that?
And how did they arrive at that conclusion? Did they measure the volume of one of the combustion chambers? Or is this an assumption based on the piston design?

Go look at the VIN number on the car. The engine code is the fifth digit.
390's of that era had compression ratios varying from 9.5:1 to 11.5:1, so they were all relatively "high" compression by today's standards.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Yeah Felix called me he said the casting number or something like that

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

I'm not at home but ill take a look at the vin when I get home

121 - 140 of 340 Posts