Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. New to this forum and I'like to thank everyone in advance for their time in helping me with the power steering conversion suggestions.
I have recently purchased a 67 fastback from the states which is fitted with a 302 engine yet theres no power steering installed. Which is the best way to convert my manual steering to power?
Has anyone used rack & pinion kit instead?
Thanks, Oz.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hey hey! Welcome to the group! I also have a 67 fb. As matter of fact I'll be keeping an eye on this thread of yours because this might be a future project for my fastback also.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Come on guys!! Help this guy out. I would but I've never done it, not sure what the cheapest and best way to do it. My assumption would be to find a 70's model ford vehicle and transfer the parts with some modification.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I haven't done it yet but am planning on a rack and pinion power steering with power disk brake set up on my 66. The set up I chose was the TCI with shock tower delete but ran across a few different set ups. Check Flaming River and the different set ups that CJponyparts and Mustangs Unlimited have. I don't recall if American Muscle carries anything that will work but that is also worth a shot. It's not exactly inexpensive but if my 66 handles better than my 07 then I think it's worth every dollar for my future daily driver.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I put a Borgeson conversion on my '66. Uses a GM gear and pump. Bolted right up. '66 doesn't have a rag joint so I had to modify the column. The upside is no slave cylinder to cause leaks and no where near as much work as a rack and pinion. Down side is it feels like '60's overboosted power steering. Not the performance choice, but affordable and simple to install if you have some skills.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys, found a guy in Ballarat to install a new kit for me. Ill update the post once complete...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts