Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , i have a 68 mustang and want to know if i can put a Latemodel Motor in it. Most of the High performance motors you can buy all come with serpantine belts and what not. I know for a fact my altenator is a 3 wire set up and i am not sure if the alt for a late model is 1 or 3 peice wire.

Is there a chance i could use a late model motor in my early model car ?

Thanks

Scott

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
it can be done and its not very hard. I am going to be putting an efi 5.0 and a t-5 in my 64 1/2 in the coming months. do you plan on carburating the late model motor or having fuel injection?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carb. Do i need a 3 wire to 1 wire conversion for a late model Altenator ? or do they make a 3 wire version ? Will i need a Early Model Oil pan or latemodel ?

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
i'm not sure about the alt. but you will have to get a oil pan and pickup from a 68. you also have to get an adapter for the transmission as the early transmissions are 5 bolt and the late model are 6 bolt. check out www.corral.net/forums alot of guys there have done late model engine and/or transmission swaps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew about the tranny , going to put a TCI Street Fighter in they said it would fit and work fine with a late model.

Hopefully some one knows about the altenator :(

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Im going to be doing this myself soon also hopefully, found a 67 for $450 (not in showroom shape but not far enough gone to be scraped) im gonna get that park it in yard and find a donor foxbody for motor and stuff. only thing im wondering is if the older foxbodies had hydraulic clutches (i dont want to have to wear a concrete shoe to push in clutch :p)

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
what i meant was try pushing a clutch of a 60's and try pushing a clutch of todays mustangs, no comparision I dont want driving to wear me out to have it feel like i ust lifted the car with my legs lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts