Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 40 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I bought the car it needed a repaint so I decided to take it down to bare metal to see if there were any rust issues. The bottom of the doors were in really bad shape so I decided to buy new ones rather than fix the old ones, and that's the color they came out of the box. We put both sides on with the handles just so we can test fit them and get all the gaps correct. They will come off again so I can paint the door jams then I will reinstall them before final paint. The less body parts I have to put back on after paint means less parts getting chipped or damaged. As for the inside of the fenders I'm going to spray them with fresh undercoating. I was real lucky with this car. Not counting the doors if you took all the rust spots on this car and combined them it would be no more than the size of a nickel. Next week we'll primer the rest of the car. Then on to sanding, body filler where needed, more primer and more sanding.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
When I bought the car it needed a repaint so I decided to take it down to bare metal to see if there were any rust issues. The bottom of the doors were in really bad shape so I decided to buy new ones rather than fix the old ones, and that's the color they came out of the box. We put both sides on with the handles just so we can test fit them and get all the gaps correct. They will come off again so I can paint the door jams then I will reinstall them before final paint. The less body parts I have to put back on after paint means less parts getting chipped or damaged. As for the inside of the fenders I'm going to spray them with fresh undercoating. I was real lucky with this car. Not counting the doors if you took all the rust spots on this car and combined them it would be no more than the size of a nickel. Next week we'll primer the rest of the car. Then on to sanding, body filler where needed, more primer and more sanding.
Yea mines not too bad on body rust but definitely have more than that to repair...bottom of my drivers door is non existent LoL, I'm gonna try to rebuild it, if don't like out some I'll get new shells ...hours is looking good tho, do you have a progress thread on here? I'll follow if ya do

Sent from my XT907 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
102 Posts
No I don't but that's a good idea. I may start one.
I'll download some more pics off my computer at work so you can see what 68 looked like. It wasn't concourse but it was an extra nice driver. The car was like new inside and out.
New paint, all new interior, rebuilt motor and tranny. It was really nice, but I always wanted a fastback but couldn't afford a half way decent one. I had about $9500 in my coupe and I sold it for $14,500. Which gave me enough to buy the Mach 1 I have now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey checking out your thread. I've never had a mustang with a trunk that was in that good of shape! I'll follow your progress!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey checking out your thread. I've never had a mustang with a trunk that was in that good of shape! I'll follow your progress!
HaHa...yea ! My wife says , So, all the work your doing on the floor is gonna be carpet over it right?...LoL...yea I'm a lil OCD but want to do it right and maybe will last longer before it rust thru again....not going for show quality , just want it solid and sealed

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
No I don't but that's a good idea. I may start one.
I'll download some more pics off my computer at work so you can see what 68 looked like. It wasn't concourse but it was an extra nice driver. The car was like new inside and out.
New paint, all new interior, rebuilt motor and tranny. It was really nice, but I always wanted a fastback but couldn't afford a half way decent one. I had about $9500 in my coupe and I sold it for $14,500. Which gave me enough to buy the Mach 1 I have now.
Nice profit ;-) Love the way older Machs look just don't like driving em, I'm a short guy so I feel like a midget in the low seats and high dash.... LOL

·
Registered
679 Posts
HaHa...yea ! My wife says , So, all the work your doing on the floor is gonna be carpet over it right?...LoL...yea I'm a lil OCD but want to do it right and maybe will last longer before it rust thru again....not going for show quality , just want it solid and sealed

Ha, mine said the same thing when I decided to tackle the underside first. "You realize nobody will be looking under there, right?"

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Maybe you can find some good used oem replacements.
Whoa is an understatement my friend...LOL....I'm actually attempting to rebuild it, figured what have I got to lose right
Not posting any pics till I see how it turns out :-/ HaHaHa

·
Registered
102 Posts
Whoa is an understatement my friend...LOL....I'm actually attempting to rebuild it, figured what have I got to lose right
Not posting any pics till I see how it turns out :-/ HaHaHa

lol, nothing to lose if you're retired and your wife kicks you out of the house for 10 hours a day and your bored.

If you can afford it, your time may be better spent on other areas of the car that need attention and are much harder and expensive to replace. What part of the country do you live in?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
lol, nothing to lose if you're retired and your wife kicks you out of the house for 10 hours a day and your bored.

If you can afford it, your time may be better spent on other areas of the car that need attention and are much harder and expensive to replace. What part of the country do you live in?

Southwest Georgia, don't mind spending the time on it, I enjoy working on the car no matter which part it is. Will get to rest of it in due time..LOL
Retired, No...I wish. I'm only 39 so I have a while yet. I told my wife when I do retire I think I'd like to do a complete frame off restore of another vehicle tho..

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you're on Facebook you should join these 2 groups, may be helpful sometime.
Classic mustang parts buy,sale.trade
And
Classics Mustang parts - buy,sale, trade (1964.5 to 1973)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
If you're on Facebook you should join these 2 groups, may be helpful sometime.
Classic mustang parts buy,sale.trade
And
Classics Mustang parts - buy,sale, trade (1964.5 to 1973)
I'll check those out, what part of the world are you in??

21 - 40 of 141 Posts