Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
All depends on how you drive. Are you going launch hard on sticky tires or just spirited driving. I had some where around 350 crank hp on mine for a while with no trouble but no track lock just 1 wheel peel. And no sticky tire drag strip runs or clutch dumps.
Here’s my thoughts. If you are going spend any money on it other than oil change consider up grading to 8.8 with t lock.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just want to do a mild build around 220 horsepower.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would think you’d be fine. Unless of course you’re beating the holy heck out of it. But at that point you’re going to have more problems than just the rear end

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
I agree. Depending upon how the car is driven, the 7.5 might never give you a problem.
The one advantage of swapping to a 8.8, regardless of strength, you get the Trac-loc differential, which can be a help in certain circumstances.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with the majority but for about 250 you can get a junkyard 8.8 with the t lock diff already In it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
66 Posts
In my experience, Ford has always used upgraded-axle strength in factory high-performance options, like '65 Mustang with Hi-Po 289, for example, which got 5-lug wheels and a 9-inch instead of 8-1/2.

Using that fact as a gauge, I would look at an axle's stock usage, and use that to decide whether it can handle what I plan to give it. As stated, anything can be broken, given adequate urging.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts