Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 mustang gt I'm not sure if I shud get a 70 or 75 mm throttle body and wat plenum? I have bbk CIA, underdrive pullies, x pip, catback exhaust, 3.73 gears, Accel coil pack with upgraded sparks. Plan on getting headers very soon maybe even intake manifold. What wud be the best combo for my stang

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
i wouldnt go to big it could hurt the car not sure about this but does the plenum come attached to some after market manifolds?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No plenum is a seller ate Bolton part that connects inbetween the TB n intake mani

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Get the 70mm anything bigger is to much and you will lose a little power. Dyno proven that the 70mm gives the most power.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw a guy do dyno tests with a 75 mm TB n c&l plenum n it put out 3 more hp then a 70mm TB with the c&l plenum though that's the only reason I'm not sure

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
Anything g over a 70mm is just gonna reduce your air velocity on a N/A motor. If you plan on getting some FI pretty soon then I would say the 75mm otherwise the 70mm should work just fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The guy from American muscle said the 75 with plenum combo wud be great for it but also said its best to just get the 78 mm n that it won't hurt.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Joeyd5 said:
The guy from American muscle said the 75 with plenum combo wud be great for it but also said its best to just get the 78 mm n that it won't hurt.
Iam no expert but that sounds really big might not be the best for the car could lose power what are your plans for the car in the future for mods?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I no I'm not sure he was right. But I plan on finishing my exhaust with headers, most likely gunna get a intake manifold eventually n not sure wat else yet

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Well unless ur going to get forced induction then I would go with a 70 mm

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Joeyd5,

We hooked our 2000 GT up with the BBK 78mm TB/Plenum, Airaid CAI, Pypes O/R Xpipe, and a Bama custom tune. After getting a baseline bone stock run, we saw zero negative effects from running a 78mm TB/Plenum in lower rpm. In fact we picked up solid hp and tq gains throughout the entire power band!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-GXi2KB8Zg&feature=plcp

Hopefully this helps your decision and clear things up for you.

Shane

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Joeyd5,

We hooked our 2000 GT up with the BBK 78mm TB/Plenum, Airaid CAI, Pypes O/R Xpipe, and a Bama custom tune. After getting a baseline bone stock run, we saw zero negative effects from running a 78mm TB/Plenum in lower rpm. In fact we picked up solid hp and tq gains throughout the entire power band!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-GXi2KB8Zg&feature=plcp

Hopefully this helps your decision and clear things up for you.

Shane
It would not show up at lower rpms, but at higher revs and WOT. Also yours is hardly an "apples to apples" back-to-back test; your changed too many parts to know which one or combination of them produced the gain.

The next step would be to remove the BBK 78 mm TB/plenum and install almost any aftermarket upper plenum and a 70 mm TB. I believe you will find that the upper end improves a bit as the 2V benefits from all the charge velocity it can get.

The stock upper plenum is restrictive, as is the catted 2-1/4" stock mid-pipe. Just improving those and a good tune would produce very similar results...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Probably a dumb question but how do u know what size tb u have? Is there a part that u measure. Mine was on the car when I bought it and have never purchased one

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
U get the measurement by the diameter of the t/b opening .. And yea I saw the dyno test but u did one test with it n didn't compare it to maybe a 75 were its 3 mm smaller so it might have a better amount of airflow pulling in and produce a better outcome then the 78.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I took a 70 off of an f150 on a stock setup with short ram what a huge difference especially because it cost me nothing best mod I've done so far

1 - 20 of 32 Posts