Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy new on the site.

My favorite years are th first 3 years of the fox . I have an 81 with a straight six.
I cant find a v8 car in the same era. What parts do i need to do the swap? Can i just
Drop it in on v8 mounts? I have heard that the 83 pre i 6 cars you cannot interchange to v8?. Any info is appreciTed guys!

81p

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hey guy new on the site.

My favorite years are th first 3 years of the fox . I have an 81 with a straight six.
I cant find a v8 car in the same era. What parts do i need to do the swap? Can i just
Drop it in on v8 mounts? I have heard that the 83 pre i 6 cars you cannot interchange to v8?. Any info is appreciTed guys!

81p
First thing you'll need to swap out is the K member. The straight 6 k member is specific to that engine. The k member from a 4 cyl or v8 donor car will work or you can go aftermarket.

The 79 did come with a 302, they are just hard as heck to find. The 80-81 v8 cars came with a piece of crap boat anchor 255.

You will also need to get a double hump transmission cross member. You can sometimes find them in a junk yard but you best bet is to buy a new one. Don't forget about upgrading to an 8.8 rear end with some aftermarket upper and lower control arms.

I did this same swap many years ago to my friends 81 stang. Have fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts