Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 V6 and I like to drive it rather spirited on the back roads and highways. I'm not a drag racer nor am I pushing out 400 to 500 horsepower to rear wheels, just the stock amount. So my question is; is an upgraded 8.8 rear end really needed for what I'm doing? The 7.5 can be upgraded to 3.55, 3.73, or greater gears. So would an 8.8 benefit someone like me at all?

·
Registered
110 Posts
From my understanding the 8.8 is a lot stronger and will give you the benefit of putting power to both wheels. Not sure if you don't plan any performance upgrades if it's really needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, let me clarify the upgrades I've made so far. I do have a performance tune, cold air intake and axle back exhaust. I also plan on doing longtube headers soon as well. With everything currently, I not pushing out too much more than stock power to the rear.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
All it took was a tune, CAI, and a set of drag radials to break my supposedly indestructible Richmond gears on my 2006. Then when I swapped to the 8.8 it was CHEAPER to swap the rear end than it was to put the 3.73 gears and tlok in the 7.5.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am sure you only would need to do a swap to an 8.8 rear if you had plans to boost the 4.0L. Some say its cheaper to swap but, you would have find a take off for under $500 for that to be true.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Not sure where you live although I think I'd scour Craigslist...
8.8 Rear w/ 4.30s and brakes
Would be kind of fun with the 4.30's...some 40 years ago I had a 289HiPo 4spd 1964 Comet Cyclone with 4:56's on the street and it was a real blast to pull 2 car hole shots on the GTO's and other wanted to be fast cars...IMHO

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
That won't work. You need a 2005-14 rear end. We use a 3 link attachment not the same size either

·
Registered
128 Posts
A stock 8.8 rearend is about 30% stronger than your stock 7.5 rearend.
Agreed. I am just now going to change my gears out from stock 3.31 with 3.73 i had already bought 3.73 with 8.8 so how that works is truly depends on how much hp and tq you plan on reaching. I am trying to reach close to 500 hp so i am going with a turbo kit and boost no more then 12 psi which is safe to run with stock internals and stock rear 7.5 8.8 do handle alot more power it just depends on how much hp and tq you want to exceed.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Agreed. I am just now going to change my gears out from stock 3.31 with 3.73 i had already bought 3.73 with 8.8 so how that works is truly depends on how much hp and tq you plan on reaching. I am trying to reach close to 500 hp so i am going with a turbo kit and boost no more then 12 psi which is safe to run with stock internals and stock rear 7.5 8.8 do handle alot more power it just depends on how much hp and tq you want to exceed.
I'm assuming you are talking 500hp at the crank and not the rear wheels...if you are talking RWHP then I'd say the 7.5 will be living a short life.
There are guys out there making close to 1000hp and running 8.8 rear ends.
I had a Whipple Charger on my 97 Cobra and tried 12/13psi on the mostly stock DOHC 4.6l and started breaking ring lands although the 8.8 was never an issue...my Maverick had an 9" and the single carb 408 was 650 at the flywheel and 544 lbft or torque...when you hit the transbrake button at 5000rpm you wanted to make sure the rearend was in one piece.
I had a friend with a 500hp motor and 7.5 rearend...he put slicks on the car and turn mid to high 11's...the rearend lasted 3 or 4 weekends before it expired.
I'd also recommend a "C Clip Eliminator" just to be safe even if you do have rear disc brakes.
Also hope the chassis is set up to handle the 200 extra HP.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm assuming you are talking 500hp at the crank and not the rear wheels...if you are talking RWHP then I'd say the 7.5 will be living a short life.
There are guys out there making close to 1000hp and running 8.8 rear ends.
I had a Whipple Charger on my 97 Cobra and tried 12/13psi on the mostly stock DOHC 4.6l and started breaking ring lands although the 8.8 was never an issue...my Maverick had an 9" and the single carb 408 was 650 at the flywheel and 544 lbft or torque...when you hit the transbrake button at 5000rpm you wanted to make sure the rearend was in one piece.
I had a friend with a 500hp motor and 7.5 rearend...he put slicks on the car and turn mid to high 11's...the rearend lasted 3 or 4 weekends before it expired.
I'd also recommend a "C Clip Eliminator" just to be safe even if you do have rear disc brakes.
Also hope the chassis is set up to handle the 200 extra HP.
Good info. I am not dragging my car just daily driver.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just picked up a used 8.8 with a 3:55 this weekend to to swap out my 7.5. I think I'm going to have to get the conversion flang to make it work.
I'm hoping it will improve my lanch. Ever since the x charger my launches suck. Lots of one wheel Peel.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just picked up a used 8.8 with a 3:55 this weekend to to swap out my 7.5. I think I'm going to have to get the conversion flang to make it work.
I'm hoping it will improve my lanch. Ever since the x charger my launches suck. Lots of one wheel Peel.

Thats sounds good. I just found out that my 3.73 8.8 will not work because the 7.5 housing is to small so i was told i just need to buy a gt rear. So i am going to wait on that one but i can still go 3.73 7.5 so i might do that. Right now i found a complete turbo kit for my car so i am saving a little money to buy it in about 4 to 5 months from now i should be able to buy it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thats sounds good. I just found out that my 3.73 8.8 will not work because the 7.5 housing is to small so i was told i just need to buy a gt rear. So i am going to wait on that one but i can still go 3.73 7.5 so i might do that. Right now i found a complete turbo kit for my car so i am saving a little money to buy it in about 4 to 5 months from now i should be able to buy it.
How much for that turbo kit and from where?

·
Registered
145 Posts
That would definitely be cool. A turbo would really get that thing moving. Is your car a stick or auto?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts