Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know of a model of vehicle that is a direct bolt-on to my v-6 that has the 8.8'' rear end for my car? I want to go 8.8'', but I would prefer to get it from a junkyard, and thus, save me a lot of money... do I have to have a GT? I heard an Explorer rear end might work, thus, if it did, and had the towing package, we're looking at some good gears :D, like 3.73-4.10's... which would be nice, all along with the 8.8" rear and t-lok.... anyone know?

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
gt would be easiest there are prolly others but you might have to change some things to get them to work. hopefully someone who knows more will chime in

·
Banned
321 Posts
Thought so... I will answer the question on this one for ya... I would go with the 8.8 from a GT, from my understanding.. its pretty much a direct bolt up... If anyone has swapped one from another vehicle, I havent heard anything about them doing it...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
explorer, ranger or any other SUV or truck will NOT bolt up. they are leaf spring setup instead of coil sping setup. You would need to make new custom brackets and making the lower control arm.

Getting an 8.8 out of a GT or Lincoln mark VII (I believe it is) will work. Both are direct bolt up. Since you have a 99+, you will need one from a GT from a 99+. The reason is that in 1999, the mustang rear ends went 1.5" wider than pre99 (.75" on each side). A pre99 will bolt up directly however, it will give the "sunken-in" look for your rear wheels and will not look right.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you Monkey, but the Lincoln Mark VII will bolt on to my car?... that would probably be much easier to find in a junkyard than a GT... especially around here. I don't even know where any are that are within two hours of me :(.... and shipping would KILL, so yeah, it has to be around here somewhere, maybe I can pay them to put it in? Supposedly, it's not that hard to pop in... but we'll have to see... or, anyone wanna help?

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
welding is not a problem.... however, I do not want it to break... prefer a good fit rather than weld to fit

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
the lincolns are still the narrower model. Since you have a 99+, you will need the 99+ GT to fit best without wheel spacers.

you can get a pre99 and put wheel spacers on it too, but I do not recommend wheel spacers, but that's my opinion.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
Monkey said:
explorer, ranger or any other SUV or truck will NOT bolt up. they are leaf spring setup instead of coil sping setup. You would need to make new custom brackets and making the lower control arm.

Getting an 8.8 out of a GT or Lincoln mark VII (I believe it is) will work. Both are direct bolt up. Since you have a 99+, you will need one from a GT from a 99+. The reason is that in 1999, the mustang rear ends went 1.5" wider than pre99 (.75" on each side). A pre99 will bolt up directly however, it will give the "sunken-in" look for your rear wheels and will not look right.
He can use his axles out of his 7.5 if he wants to get a pre 99 rear end

I bought a 8.8 out of a fox and reused my axles

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well I wouldn't want to change the entire axle I don't think. I mean, they shouldn't break, should they?... I don't think I've ever seen an axle break, but then again, this is Iowa... lots of trucks here. I just want something I can take my 7.5'' out and put in the 8.8''. If it has better gears, yay, if it doesn't, oh well. I'll settle for same gears. I was just thinking if I got it out of a truck/SUV with a towing package, the 3.73-4.10's would already be in it... meaning I don't have to purchase them, just the speedo or chip to correct for it... I think I'd prefer the 3.73's though, just so I don't burn it up on the interstate

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
its ok to change your axles, and if you have an auto 4.10's will be fine you wont prematurely burn out your engine. its pretty easy to swap axles off the rear ends. what you do is pull of the diff covers on the 7.5 then take out the diff pin then rotate your axles till you see the c clip take the clip out the your axle slides right out then you do the same on the pree 99 8.8 then you put your 7.5 axle in put on the c clip then put the diff pin back on then put your cover back on the 8.8 then throw some oil then bolt it up. it be easier if you have an extra set of hands

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll have 3 pairs of hands...

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll need kinda in detail instructions.... also, I need to find the damn thing first... which rear axles could I just swap in there?

P.S.- I knew someone would put that quote in their sig

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
i will try to make detailed instuctions but im gonna get under my car so ican write down evry little thing cause i know i will forget some stuff right now but here go's. you will have to take off your rear bakes but that shoulent be tooo hard. take off drive shaft, rewmove all the bolts from the controll arms and you will have the cars frame supported on jack stands. like i said let me get under my car so i can mention every thing

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
jimmy_beaner said:
I'll need kinda in detail instructions.... also, I need to find the damn thing first... which rear axles could I just swap in there?

P.S.- I knew someone would put that quote in their sig
you use your axles that are in your 7.5

You take those out of your 7.5 and take the ones out of the 8.8 and swap them out

after that its purely bolton

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok, good deal... this is probably a spring mod now, but I will save it to my computer, study it, and have it down pat before I try it :p

1 - 20 of 53 Posts