Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a motor from a 5.0 mustang from 87-93. It could be just the motor or the whole car would work too if its for a good price, even if it is totalled.

Thanks

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Mustang parts specialties in GA.. Well known and reputable. They also have an eBay store.

·
Banned
422 Posts
deadsp0t said:
I understand some of those are .040" which can be ok but aren't going quite as reliable in the 'long-term' as .020-.030 blocks. Be sure to ask.
.030 is widely recommended as the maximum for a 302. Some people have run plenty of power in a .040 over block just fine tho, but like you said for how long?

·
Banned
422 Posts
I think the real problem with over bore motors is when you stroke it and get a poor rod ratio, more force on a thinner cylinder wall equals trouble over an extended period of time

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
I think the real problem with over bore motors is when you stroke it and get a poor rod ratio, more force on a thinner cylinder wall equals trouble over an extended period of time
Yes, in most scenarios the thinner walls are the issue. Even with a stock stroke it 'can be an issue' causing cooling issues. It's not always an issue, a lot of ppl never have an issue. Like you said earlier its just the recommendation

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How much are you looking to spend? LMR has budget Shortblocks for $800
Probably somewhere around there. I talked to a guy at Dallas mustang and he said you can find alot of totaled cars and get them for $500-600 and just take the motor and scrap the rest.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
Probably somewhere around there. I talked to a guy at Dallas mustang and he said you can find alot of totaled cars and get them for $500-600 and just take the motor and scrap the rest.
If you're going to pick up a used motor look into the 5.0 explorers and mountaineers. Basically cobra motors with the exception of the cam.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
+ 1 u need the closest stroke to rod ratio as possible

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How much trouble is it to put the newer overdrive transmission along with the new model roller motor in a 68 mustang.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts