Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead::banghead:I am new to this forum but while doing searches I always get directed here so I figured I would join. I am a basic backyard novice but I have some good skills. I restored both a '68 & '69 Mustang and they run like tops. My '89 was running perfectly until a few days ago. I have seen dozens of answers to this issue all over the web. Problem is, some of the solutions seem way over my head and skill level and the others didn't work. I know finding and fixing something like this at a shop will cost huge dollars so I want to at least try everything first.

Here is my issue.

It is a 1989 GT, automatic convertible.
MSD Streetfighter box, blaster coil and billit distributor
BAMA computer ship from American Muscle
BBK cold air intake and throttle body.

All of these mods have been in the car for over a year and she has always run like a top. This weekend I installed a PA Performance 95amp alternator along with the heavy duty lead that runs from the alternator to the starter relay. Everything went great, finished up, started the car and it ran like it always does. Amp meter read strong and all electricals worked properly. I took her for a ride and it was perfect. Brought her home, shut her down and cleaned up. When I tried to start her about a half hour later, nothing. She cranks fine but won't turn over. I tinkered and nothing. Came out about an hour later and she fired right up. Took her out again and all was good. Next morning same issue, nothing but crank. Tried it last night and it started again but when I tried a bit later nothing.

When I turn the key all seems and sounds normal, fuel pump cycles, all indicator lights come on and it cranks. I have spark. So here is what I tried with no success. I was wondering if there was a simple way to see if the injectors are spraying. Ugh.

By passed MSD box
Tried new coil
Tried new starter relay
Tried new ECM on the distributor
Cleaned up with a rag all wires by relay and made sure all looked good
I do have power to the MSD box

I can't figure anything else out. I don't own a OBD I tester and have limited electrical diagnostic tools. I can usually figure almost anything out with help from the forums but I am worried here. Just dumped a boat load on tires/wheels, new convertible top, all new seat upholstery, carpet, door panels and trim. I need some help.

I have also seen a few posts that suggest replacing the fuel pump but that seems like a huge job/expense that seem in all probability, won't correct it.

Thanks so much everyone. I also live on Long Island so if I need a mechanic any referrals would be great.

New problem too. While tightening my negative battery groung to the engine, the boss on the timing cover snapped off. It was only the tab so thankfully I don't need to replace it, I just need a new, solid, good contact to ground to. I have heard so many different places and reason not to ground to places. Where can I attach the ground to the engine that will be a solid, secure, well grounded connection.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ground broke last night when I tried to make sure it was snug. I guess 8 degree weather makes things brittle. I do know the ground was tight (at least I do now) and the problem started before I touched the ground cable. She just won't turn over. Ugh.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah, doesn't even seem like it wants to start. The few times it did, it turned over right away and ran perfectly.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Have you checked plugs? Maybe you got oil or coolant fouling the plugs? All plug wires are in correct order? Should be if it was running good before...hmm. Seems like something with new alternator since that's when it started. I've heard it takes some time for computer to recognize changes made to motor...maybe it's not picking up the alternator? I don't know for sure cuz mine is pre-computer age...just a thought.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sgt_Syke,

All plugs are good and wires are correct. After I finished installing the alternator she started on the first crank. Idled perfectly and all was good. I took her out for for a test drive and everything was perfect. Even with the heat, radio, headlights and fog lamps the alternator gauge was reading better than ever before. When I got back home I shut her off to get cleaned up and when I came out a half hour later she wouldn't start. About two hours later she cranked and started. Took her around the block and everything was ok. Next day, nothing again. While tinkering around she cranked and started once more. Ran and idled perfectly. Shut her down and tried to start her again and nothing. Ugh! Checked coil, fuel inertia switch, swaped out TPS and starter relay and still nothing.

Today I am going to check fuel pressure, ignition switch, EEC relay, fuel pump relay, all fusible links and engine ground. Hoping for something. This just sucks.

I'm hoping between all of the resources on this forum we can figure is out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going to try that today. Got to heat the garage first, 20 degrees makes it even more miserable. I'll post results.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'll be in garage today as well but no heat with a whopping 15 deg.hope to get fuel tank back in and fuel line fixed so I can start it again 😁.been 2months since it ran and I'm anxious

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update.....

Put new ignition switch in, re grounded the engine and cleaned up some wires and SHE STARTED! Ran well too. I started her 5-10 times and kicked each one of them. If she starts tomorrow I will call her fixed.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just went out, reinstalled coil cover, cranked her and she started! If she starts tomorrow I'm calling that fixed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Went out this morning and NOTHING. Cranks but won't start. Totally lost. Don't think there is spark at the plug.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts