Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, quick question...

I just got a new 13' GT and I'm now looking for a winter car. Some guy is selling a '91 5.0 5speed for $2500. It has a little under 100k miles. Do you think this is a good or bad decision for a winter car? I know they tend to be sleds in the snow but what if I add some weight in the back and some all season tires? Let me know!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Those cars are extremely light in the rear. If you are gonna be driving in snow I wouldn't.do it

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Hey guys, quick question...

I just got a new 13' GT and I'm now looking for a winter car. Some guy is selling a '91 5.0 5speed for $2500. It has a little under 100k miles. Do you think this is a good or bad decision for a winter car? I know they tend to be sleds in the snow but what if I add some weight in the back and some all season tires? Let me know!

Thanks!
They can be driven in the snow adding weight and tires as you described, but you would be better off with a FWD or 4WD vehicle.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
keaton5.0 said:
You must have mistaken my car for a convertible.
Whats wrong with a vert? Nothing like walking someone (at the track of course) with the top down. Actually helps weight distribution.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
keaton5.0 said:
Only joking. Any fox is alright with me.
My fox is slow as christmas

·
Registered
200 Posts
Only time I had trouble with my old 92 was if the snow got too deep. Keep a full tank of gas and good tires you should be fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fox in snow

Don't do it. Ruin a fox in the snow is a bad idea. They are bad enough in dry and wet roads. Buy it and restore it if not let me know I will!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
5.0 as a winter car = bad times...

I wouldn't do that if I were you. You can, it's just not going to be a ton of fun on snow and ice, no matter what you do as far as snow tires and extra weight over the rear-end. I did this ONCE, and never again, have a winter car, be it a 4x4 truck, or a FWD 4 cyl whatever.

·
Registered
231 Posts
a 13 5.0 , and a 91 5.0, hmmm the old saying goes, 2 wrongs dont make a right. Get a low powered econo box, FWD, with some decent all seasons, and or cheap 4wd suv, for winter. I cant afford to buy a second hoopty just yet, so for now I will contend with some blizzaks for my 2013.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Driving capably in the snow or even in the rain, requires but a change in driving styles and habits.

If you cannot adapt, then don't do it as you will surely get stuck or crash.

I have driven all kinds of low to high powered vehicles in all sorts of inclement weather.
You just have to learn to adapt to the road conditions and drive accordingly.
Take off in second gear with enough clutch slippage to keep the tires from spinning.
Do not apply the throttle too quickly. Ease into it slowly and you will soon develop a sense of how much throttle you can apply without spinning the tires.
Begin braking lightly a long ways from where you normally would.
Slightly pumping the brakes to keep them from locking up, but enough to scrub off speed and slow the car.
If you get stuck, don't sit there futilely spinning your tires. Hot tires are a lot more slippery than cold ones.
Use a good brand of snow tires and carry a couple of bags of sand and one of salt, use it to spread under your tires and to the front or rear of them depending on which way you want to go.

Common sense and careful driving should get you to wherever you need to go. :good:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts