Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone kno the stock diferential gear size on the this particular diferential. I'm getting the complete rear end off this guy on craigslist. Was wondering if anyone knew? Will be putting it on my 86 coupe
As of what he told me nothing has been touched "geared" it's all stock 4 lug and his car was a 5.0 manual trans. Posi

---------- Post added at 04:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 AM ----------

Punks86coupe said:
Does anyone kno the stock diferential gear size on the this particular diferential. I'm getting the complete rear end off this guy on craigslist. Was wondering if anyone knew? Will be putting it on my 86 coupe
As of what he told me nothing has been touched "geared" it's all stock 4 lug and his car was a 5.0 manual trans. Posi
I'm assuming it's a 8.8

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
2.73 or 3.08.. Likely 2.73.. If its never been opened there should be a metal tag with a bunch of numbers, and you should be able to see a gear size among them.

·
Registered
492 Posts
First, it is a 2.73 gear ratio. Second, it's not a posi but rather a limited slip. This differential uses clutches to apply power to both wheels while still allowing a little bit of slip for safe normal driving. Unless it has a ton if miles on it, should be fine.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
aegischief said:
First, it is a 2.73 gear ratio. Second, it's not a posi but rather a limited slip. This differential uses clutches to apply power to both wheels while still allowing a little bit of slip for safe normal driving. Unless it has a ton if miles on it, should be fine.
They are NOT all 2.73..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys I bought the diferential and according to the tag it's a 8.8 and it's says 2.73
Right now I have a 7.5 will it be a clean swap? Or will I need other parts to complete the installation? The diferential is complete from drum to drum with e brakes.
Going into my 86 coupe
The guy gave me the 91 v8 gt front spindles, calipers and diferential for 65$
Since he went with a 96 set up or 95

·
Registered
492 Posts
Punks86coupe said:
Thank you guys I bought the diferential and according to the tag it's a 8.8 and it's says 2.73
Right now I have a 7.5 will it be a clean swap? Or will I need other parts to complete the installation? The diferential is complete from drum to drum with e brakes.
Going into my 86 coupe
The guy gave me the 91 v8 gt front spindles, calipers and diferential for 65$
Since he went with a 96 set up or 95
Yep. Will go right in. I recommend that you put on some aftermarket control arms and replace the upper bushings before you install. Will save you a ton of time and headache later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts