Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone in here know how to replace or rebuild the clutch packs in a rearend? My posi does not work anymore now my back tires break to quick and on wet pavement it want to fish tail alot. Any help
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,444 Posts
93stang said:
Does anyone in here know how to replace or rebuild the clutch packs in a rearend? My posi does not work anymore now my back tires break to quick and on wet pavement it want to fish tail alot. Any help
Are both tires spinning? Tires breaking loose doesn't necessarily mean the traction loc is bad.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
4,786 Posts
93stang said:
No If. Both tires spin then u won't get sideways or fishtail.
Think about it. If only one is spinning what's the other one doing? The other one will be holding traction keeping the car stable. If both are spinning what's keeping the car stable(straight)? Nothing it will be sliding out. This is not my opinion these are facts.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,656 Posts
93slowstang said:
Are both tires spinning? Tires breaking loose doesn't necessarily mean the traction loc is bad.
deadsp0t said:
Usually if the rear is sliding around both tires are spinning, usually.
The clutches could still be worn out if he's sayin on wet pavment they break loose...but fixing the clutch pack would probably only make it break loose faster in the rain!..sound right?..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,779 Posts
No If. Both tires spin then u won't get sideways or fishtail.
Both tires spinning are what causes a car to fishtail.
If one side has better traction then the car will pull to that side.
That's why when drag racing you want to ensure that both rear tires are equally inflated.

Here's a link to a gear installation that has information pertinent to a rebuild.
8.8 Gear Install
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so if my clutch packs r bad then just one tire will spin and cause me to fishtail. My gf has a 02 gt and u can't spin tires or fishtail in it. If u turn the posi off then u can spin out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
93stang said:
Ok so if my clutch packs r bad then just one tire will spin and cause me to fishtail. My gf has a 02 gt and u can't spin tires or fishtail in it. If u turn the posi off then u can spin out
Ur not turning the posi off, ur turning the traction control off. If only one tire is spinning, ur clutches COULD bad but it's not gonna cause to fish tail, you need both tires to spin for that to happen. If both tires are getting power equally and you are fish tailing, then that can be caused by tires having unequal pressure, one rear shock being more worn than the other or even worn suspension components such as LCAs. In a perfect world, the car should go straight, but it ain't a perfect world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I just went out just a min ago and Burt tired pretty good. Looks like I only have one tire leavin marks and I did not fishtail. I already know my front and rear suspension is bad so I'm going to start there and see if that does not correct it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
93stang said:
Ok I just went out just a min ago and Burt tired pretty good. Looks like I only have one tire leavin marks and I did not fishtail. I already know my front and rear suspension is bad so I'm going to start there and see if that does not correct it.
If you got the one wheel peel, then you need to have your differential repaired. The clutches are bad.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,779 Posts
If both tires are not spinning equally when on a level, compatible surfaces, then your rear end needs to be rebuilt or replaced.
Nothiing you do to the suspension will help correct the problem you have with the rear end.
You need to rebuild or replace the rear end.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,779 Posts
Ok is this something I can do or do I need to take it somewhere
You need to take it to a reputable shop.
Special tools and knowledge are required to get it done correctly.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top