Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this question is asked a lot, but I am new so please forgive me here.
I have a '94 V6 and am wanting to change it to a 5.0L HO. I know I need a new computer and wiring harness for the change, but am hearing that I also will have to have a suspension upgrade and possibly a different driveshaft. Anyone know the answers to this one? Anyone know exactly what other mods have to be made to accomodate the new engine.

Thanks for any help you can give.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,263 Posts
you will need to get the front suspension from a 94 gt to handle the weight of the v8. I would do a brake swap too just make sure that you have the extra stopping power to handle the extra go power. you'll probably have to get a shorter driveshaft. are you going to be putting a different tranny in along with the 5.0?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Mike's-stang said:
I'm sure this question is asked a lot, but I am new so please forgive me here.
I have a '94 V6 and am wanting to change it to a 5.0L HO. I know I need a new computer and wiring harness for the change, but am hearing that I also will have to have a suspension upgrade and possibly a different driveshaft. Anyone know the answers to this one? Anyone know exactly what other mods have to be made to accomodate the new engine.

Thanks for any help you can give.
OK, well the weight of the engine is why you need a better suspension, so you'll need to do that, and you stock brakes are ok, just ok. You're best bet would to be to get some dual piston calipers from a 99+ mustang the V6 and GT have the same brakes some don't get fooled if they try to say it's from a GT, they'll fit trust me. I have them on my car. I would also highly recommend a new tranny. You stock one will work, but the 94-98 T-5s were pretty much the weakest the ever made. And finally for the driveshaft, I'm not 100% sure, but your stock one will work, it all depends on the year of the 5.0 though, the new the more likely it'll work.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
897 Posts
You need the Computer, a stronger tranny, tranny harness, tranny bell housing, H-pipe, Catback, you should get a 8.8'' rearend, I had a complete list but i cant find it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,263 Posts
97Stallion said:
OK, well the weight of the engine is why you need a better suspension, so you'll need to do that, and you stock brakes are ok, just ok. You're best bet would to be to get some dual piston calipers from a 99+ mustang the V6 and GT have the same brakes some don't get fooled if they try to say it's from a GT, they'll fit trust me. I have them on my car. I would also highly recommend a new tranny. You stock one will work, but the 94-98 T-5s were pretty much the weakest the ever made. And finally for the driveshaft, I'm not 100% sure, but your stock one will work, it all depends on the year of the 5.0 though, the new the more likely it'll work.
i think the 94-98 5 speeds are t-45s, and yeah, they suck a nut
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank ya'll for the help. I think I found a motor I am going after this weekend. It is out of an '87 GT and has an AODE transmission with it that has been rebuilt. Crossing my fingers on this one.

Thanks again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
fast64 said:
i think the 94-98 5 speeds are t-45s, and yeah, they suck a nut
Nope the 5.0's were t-5's and the 4.6's were the t-45's.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,263 Posts
ok, so we are both right, haha 94-95 had t-5's and 96-98 had t-45s
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
Thank ya'll for the help. I think I found a motor I am going after this weekend. It is out of an '87 GT and has an AODE transmission with it that has been rebuilt.
the 87 has an AOD, not an AODE, so the shifting is controlled by a cable rather than elecronically, and the driveshaft will work, if the AOD and AODE are externally the same

to use the 87 engine, youll end up having to track down some parts/sensors from the 94, youll need the upper intake manifold, headers, im not sure if the 94 is DIS or not, but if it is, youll need all of that, its no easy task
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
The 94 is not DIS, only the 3.8's and 4.6 are. In this case I would recommend spark plug wires and a MSD system and some new TFI coil packs.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top