Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5.0 or 4.6 let me hear your preference and why. 5.0 hp and torque and hp to weight specs along with the 4.6. Trying to decide what car im going to buy

·
Registered
205 Posts
For me it was 5.0 or nothing at first, I was so pissed off when I drove the first 96 mustang with that new overhead cam 4.6 engine and smaller displacement, it felt so weak:( honestly, and I really hate to say it but I turned to Chevys LT1 during those dark times, but then I saw a 4 valve in a modular cobra!, it looked so huge stuffed in that little stang, I liked it! Then, in 99 when they brought out the new edge horse I was deff crazy over the styling and with the PI heads came more power for the GT:) ford was stepping it up, then in 2002 or 2001 I read that they were making a cobra with a supercharger on it, right from the factory, in 02 I saw it!! The 2003 SVT Cobra!! AKA the Terminator!! When I read the specs on that car and saw that top fuel like looking blower set up under the hood!, I knew ford had finally turned me into it's follower forever, and it just got better since then haha, I have owned more than 40 stangs since my first one at 17 (86 GT) to my current ones (10 anni 03 cobra, 07 GT 500) but I restore wrecked stangs so it's a little easier to get cars than most people, guess I'm bless there lol, I know I've been rambling like a freak on the question so here is my answere!, I don't know! Yep that's right lol I can't say which I like more, I love both engines and I'm just glad we have these kind of cars to enjoy:) sorry for talking so much and still not really answering, but anyway, WIDE FU_KING OPEN TILL DEATH!!!!!! WooHoo!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the 03 SVT cobra w the supercharger too but like anyone else money is the hard thing to come but that's why I was looking at the older 5.0 4.6 gt

·
Registered
205 Posts
I love the GTs too dude, and that 94/98 body style is awesome with the right set of wheels! A dude owned a black 98 in my town with a set of staggered chrome bullets and lowered and a cowl hood,when I see that car coming at me I can't tell if it's a 94 or 04 but it's sharp! I think I would pic the modular engine in those years, and I'll tell you a little secret of how to make a 96-98 modular GT a bad ass, put a set of heads from a 99-04 GT on it!, it raises the compression like 1 static point! And the 96-98 block is supposed to be better than the 99-04 blocks, I've driven a 98 GT with the PI swap, it's much faster than normal, a great building point to start from, hope that helped!:)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Me personly like the 5.0. It's easier to work on. Parts are more readily acessible and aftermarket parts are cheaper thsn the 4.6. But I know if u have the money to sink in a 4.6 they can be made into some really good motors. So pretty much it's a prefremce thing and how much money your lookin to put into it to make it faster. But I have a 94 gt and I love it. I'm always tinkering around on it. And I love the sound of the 5.0s. Alot of people will say the 5.0s are weak but after u put gears and a h/c/I swap on it it will wake up like no other. So if your just now getting into the Stang world I would go with a 5.0. Like I said easier to work on and easier to mod. But the choice is yours

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No just gettin into sold mine cos I had a family wife and 3 kids. Im trying to get back into it again I love the stands. What is a H/C/L swap? I'm looking for power cos I'll drag it from time to time just for fun. I used to run a car club called DOMESTIC MUSCLE and I'd love to do it again thanks for the help I'm sure I'll b asking lots of qyestions

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

Stangs... Dang auto correct

·
Registered
70 Posts
H,C,I = heads, cam and intake swap

·
Registered
572 Posts
deadsp0t said:
Said this several times, I would not own a non PI 4.6L 96-98. There numbers are comparable but they have issues and they are slow IMO.
94,95 5.0s are just as slow until you put some boost or HCI. With just bolt ons there pathetic

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Brett Greene said:
94,95 5.0s are just as slow until you put some boost or HCI. With just bolt ons there pathetic
Yup, except the head and intake gaskets don't blow and the intakes don't crack. Parts are cheaper, more available and easier to install.

As far as bolt on parts the 5.0L respond much better.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I'd take the 99-04 4.6 over the older 5.0 any day!.. I've raced against several and only one beat me!.. All had similar mods as my car!..

·
Registered
153 Posts
Eturner said:
I'd take the 99-04 4.6 over the older 5.0 any day!.. I've raced against several and only one beat me!.. All had similar mods as my car!..
If we are talkin stock. Pi motor for sure. I'm about to do a pi swap on my 96 and it's gunna put me above the pi as far as power cuz it raises compression to 10:1 on a non pi bottom end.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I love my 94 gt and it is a great car and the 5.0 is easier to work on that much is true but the down side to the 94-95 5.0 is the ecu's they do not like mods like h,c,I with out tuning, but once you get a good tune your golden! seen guys make 300+Rwhp on a basic gt-40 swap with a good cam and bolt ons so there is alot of potential in the platform! But also one thing to think about is the emissions laws in your area 95 and below vehicles have to be dynoed for the emissions test while 96 and up just plug into your ECU! So with a 95 and under stang depending on mods and exhaust you may not be able to pass emissions! where as you could have a fully built 96 and up stang and as long as your CEL isn't on and the inspector can see cats under your car you will pass and be able to get your tag!

·
Registered
70 Posts
P.I= power improved, better flowing heads and intake and better cams where used on the 99-04 gt mustangs so putting those heads on a 96-98 gt with get better flow and higher compression ratio and get you anywhere from a 30 to 40 hp increase!

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Kyle94GT302 said:
P.I= power improved, better flowing heads and intake and better cams where used on the 99-04 gt mustangs so putting those heads on a 96-98 gt with get better flow and higher compression ratio and get you anywhere from a 30 to 40 hp increase!
Meant to say performance improved

·
Registered
153 Posts
Kyle94GT302 said:

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Meant to say performance improved
I've heard around 50 to 60 hp range. We will see though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Torrbo916 said:
I've heard around 50 to 60 hp range. We will see though.
That very well may be true depending on supporting mods and tune, also seen guys make more power by using p.i cams and intake on non-PI heads and having the NPI heads ported and making more power than a full p.i swap

1 - 20 of 52 Posts