Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some might know I've been planning to prep a 351w for my car for some time now. I have a 5.4L van motor(E-250) available to me for nothing. It has 200k+ miles and will need a rebuild of course.
I have a few questions regarding this swap.

1. Wiring and ECU? Use the vans or is there a better option?

2. Trans options? 5-6 speed or auto? Open to both.

3. K -member? Can I use 96-04, or do i need an aftermarket one?

4. I'm sure mods will have to be made to the cooling system as well?

5. Exhaust.. Options?

Any insight into these things would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there are things I'm sure I'm over looking, tips and advice are welcome! :)

Thanks,
Ed

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
I am inexperienced with this swap. But I will give what insight I have.

I do believe you need special headers because the 351 is a bit wider. (1 1/4" I think)

As for the k member, it should fit in the existing.

I also believ that you can keep your own ecu, but will need to tune it.

I do know that there is a good swap article in the stickies. I think I may have even put it there. :good:
But I know a few guys on here have done the swap so they will be able to better inform you. But good luck on your project man. Adding cubes always gets ky juices flowing.

Also one other thing. I saw you had a recent post about shocks. You may want to consider this in that decision, as you will be putting more power down depending on how crazy you get. A good set of shocks maybe a key factor in hooking up. :good:

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dreamstang said:
I am inexperienced with this swap. But I will give what insight I have.

I do believe you need special headers because the 351 is a bit wider. (1 1/4" I think)

As for the k member, it should fit in the existing.

I also believ that you can keep your own ecu, but will need to tune it.

I do know that there is a good swap article in the stickies. I think I may have even put it there. :good:
But I know a few guys on here have done the swap so they will be able to better inform you. But good luck on your project man. Adding cubes always gets ky juices flowing.

Also one other thing. I saw you had a recent post about shocks. You may want to consider this in that decision, as you will be putting more power down depending on how crazy you get. A good set of shocks maybe a key factor in hooking up. :good:
I know lots about the 351w swap, I'm looking for info on the 5.4L mod motor swap! :D

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
deadsp0t said:
Np bro! It's the thought that counts! :)
Well hopefully someone else has some input. I haven't heard of to many people doing this swap. And it sounds pretty cool to me. I would bet that cam is more setup for low end since its basically a truck motor.

I remembered that you wanted to do a 351 swap so I had it in my head that's the info your looking for. :eek:: good luck though buddy.

·
Banned
422 Posts
From what i have found the 5.4 has slightly over an inch taller deck than the 4.6 so that could limit your exhaust header choice even with a 96+ k member. I know muscle mustangs and fast fords built a fox with a 5.4 out of a lightning but i cant seem to find the article

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
keaton5.0 said:
From what i have found the 5.4 has slightly over an inch taller deck than the 4.6 so that could limit your exhaust header choice even with a 96+ k member. I know muscle mustangs and fast fords built a fox with a 5.4 out of a lightning but i cant seem to find the article
That's a VERY old article!!! A tan notch back right? There was a pic of two dudes lifting the back of the car by hand cause the engine was so heavy lol was a 4 eyed car too I think 8)

·
Banned
422 Posts
deadsp0t said:
That's a VERY old article!!! A tan notch back right? There was a pic of two dudes lifting the back of the car by hand cause the engine was so heavy lol was a 4 eyed car too I think 8)
I wasnt aware how old it was lol i was searching modular motor swaps in foxes a while back and came acrossed it but i cant find it now!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
From what I've heard about this swap you will need the k member from a 99-04 , ecu and wiring, a cowl hood even with the k member, and the hydro boost brake set up or you can covert to manual brakes, you could probably get away with mid length headers, and if its going to be a strip-street car I would do an auto trans.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Honestly I don't think it's worth it for a 5.4 in this case. The money you would put into making it work and rebuilding it would prolly be well spent in your 351 swap. It's gotta be a 2V 5.4 coming from a van, and yes they do make decent torque, but the HP just isn't there. If it was a 4V or you have 4V heads to go on it, maybe. Unless you wanted to put an F.I. Kit on the 5.4, there's no point. Unless of course you are doing just to say you have one :) lol

P.S. I also have a 2000 GT and I have thought about doing a 5.4 swap in it; maybe if I find a lightning motor, until then I'm keeping the 4.6.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Roguestang said:
Honestly I don't think it's worth it for a 5.4 in this case. The money you would put into making it work and rebuilding it would prolly be well spent in your 351 swap. It's gotta be a 2V 5.4 coming from a van, and yes they do make decent torque, but the HP just isn't there. If it was a 4V or you have 4V heads to go on it, maybe. Unless you wanted to put an F.I. Kit on the 5.4, there's no point. Unless of course you are doing just to say you have one :) lol

P.S. I also have a 2000 GT and I have thought about doing a 5.4 swap in it; maybe if I find a lightning motor, until then I'm keeping the 4.6.
:good: exactly the type of advice I was looking for! Thanks for the insight everyone!!!!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
deadsp0t said:
:good: exactly the type of advice I was looking for! Thanks for the insight everyone!!!!
No prob!

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Roguestang said:
Might get it anyway and use it for trade bait, or use the van for my bike or maybe build it into a 4 cam over time.. Hmmm

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
deadsp0t said:
Might get it anyway and use it for trade bait, or use the van for my bike or maybe build it into a 4 cam over time.. Hmmm
That's funny cause I was thinking you should get it and build it over time just for fun! Lol

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
I say get it anyways also. The good low end torque but lack of hp probably is just because of cams and intake etc. If you decide to keep it and build it up good, that stuff will be replaced.
Also if you can get a good deal on it, it shouldn't be to hard of a flip.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dreamstang said:
I say get it anyways also. The good low end torque but lack of hp probably is just because of cams and intake etc. If you decide to keep it and build it up good, that stuff will be replaced.
Also if you can get a good deal on it, it shouldn't be to hard of a flip.
I'm starting to lean towards getting it to swap into a a 4cyl Fox notchback.. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts