Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need help. I have a 96 GT automatic. It doesn't do this all of the time it just does it every once in a while. My car dies when you are braking. I am stumped by this and cannot tell what the problem is. I took it too a transmission shop and they also couldn't tell me. I replace the iac, the camshaft position sensor. Any other ideas I'm at a loss

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
813 Posts
No it's bone stock. I'm waiting to mod until after I figure out the problems
You haven't changed anything at all? No cai or anything?

Easiest way to find a vacuum leak is get carb cleaner and spray around the intake and vacuum lines. But it can be tricky since yours is doing it while braking. What about sitting still and hitting the brake? Does it die then?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Since its dying while braking id say brake booster ....however we have a hydroboost so not an option. However i agree i would spray carb cleaner and listen for a rev up pr death of the motor.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The first problem was taking it to a transmission shop go to a mechanic. Unless you feel the transmission roughly downshift

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I thought it was a transmission problem because it felt like it was pulling while I was braking. But to no avail. While its at an idle it runs fine. It only dies when I'm driving and coming to a stop. The weird thing is though that it doesn't do it at every stop. It only does it once in a while.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Well I thought it was a transmission problem because it felt like it was pulling while I was braking. But to no avail. While its at an idle it runs fine. It only dies when I'm driving and coming to a stop. The weird thing is though that it doesn't do it at every stop. It only does it once in a while.
Clean the MAF, IAC, and throttle body. Also a loose battery connection can cause what your describing. My v6 used to do that and come to find out I had a bad cable that was loosing connection.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Replaced maf and iac. Ill clean the throttle body in the morning. And I'll check for a bad connection

·
Registered
354 Posts
My 98 does that too, but only after I had hauled ass real fast to a red light then it would die on me but I still don't know why mine does it

·
Registered
74 Posts
If the light isn't on I don't think it would be a vacuum could be a blockage or pinched brake line. Check the fluid to see if you see any contaminants inside.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I would still look for a leak like vacuum leak or a cracked manifold

1 - 20 of 32 Posts