Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 538 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Day 1:
Picked the car and engine up. Engine and trans only had 50k miles on it. Very good compression. Loaded it all up and brought it home. Missing the headlight bar from what I can see. Tomorrow is sorting cleaning and prepping the body for the swap. Hopefully there won't be too much missing. Scored aftermarket tail lights headlights and markets. Oh and we busted the neutral safety switch loading the engine and trans up. Hopefully that's all that needs to be fixed. So we will continue this tomorrow.

Day 2:

Got everything sorted.... H pipe and exhaust is here, radiator extra power steering pump, a/c compressors, but still no header panel oh well junkyard here has them in. 2 wiring harnesses which will come in handy when extending the GT's original harness for certain plugs. So far iac tps and a few other sensors will have their plugs extended. I'm going to use the back mounted tb til I can find a cobra or later mark 8 intake to swap with. So far things are going smooth and not much is needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vegas97gt said:
Do you mean the headlight mount panel aka header panel? Made out of fiber glass?
Yeah it's always been the headlight bar to me but it works..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got nothing done today. Was a busy day here at the shop. On a side note why is it the lock and window switch panels people gotta break them? Just don't get it. I finally get the ones in my 95 fixed and the drivers door in the gt has been broke and they caked silcone of all things on it!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the wiring harness fuel injectors and mark 8 fuel rail on. Stripped off the engine mounts and the mark 8 starter harness. There's a few plugs that I'm unsure of where they go but so far everything has plugged right up. Now they say you just got to extend the gt's tps plug and iac and they are right. I recommend getting your extensions from the mark 8 harness so you only got the one splice in each wire and the color code on the wires stays the same. As for the imrc on the intake I'm just going to wire it open but the funny thing is I'm not finding the imrc motor? The heater hose is another problem but I don't see why you can't cut the pipes on the engine down so that they can be inline with the heater core.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I hit a snag. I need to change the intake to the later style mark 8 with the side mount throttle body. Also have to get all the duct work for the air intake along withe the maf sensor... Well this was expected due to the fact of the old 4.6L 2v wasn't with the car. Alot of the posts say I need the oil pan and pick up tube but I'm not really seeing why it won't work. If anybody has any input please chime in
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks. Did find out that this intakes imrc's are vacuum controlled so theres no electric motor that i can find on the engine. Think ill see about swapping them onto the late model intake. Spent the day at pullapart. Their inventory said that they had a 1997 mark 8 drove 45 mins get there and the "1997" is actually a 1996 with the same intake as I got. That was sucky except I got the hood latch. Header panel was busted. Yep suck a$$ day. No progress to report except I got a intake on my watch list on eBay. Hopefully I can get it and get this beast roaring out those single chamber flows!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gonna pull the upper intake and see if maybe I can swap it without changing the lower. Keep your fingers crossed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
95v686gt said:
Gonna pull the upper intake and see if maybe I can swap it without changing the lower. Keep your fingers crossed
Hey aren't you the one that was doing the 96' 32v swap?.. I was wondering why I hadn't herd or seen any post, now I got you in my sights again. Ha ha...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mathew r Wright said:
Hey aren't you the one that was doing the 96' 32v swap?.. I was wondering why I hadn't herd or seen any post, now I got you in my sights again. Ha ha...
Yep that's me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Time for a update... Still in the hunt for the intake manifold. Friend of mine is giving me his cobra exhaust manifolds since he is putting on LT headers. So that's one last obstacle overcame. On a brighter note the car is nice and clean now with the dash and carpet cleaned up actually looks decent. And the meguilars all tire and wheel cleaner works wonders on aluminum rims. They actually look brand new. So back to the hunt for the intake!!!

Also looking at possibly swapping the cams out while the engine is still out. If it's financially feasible. Think a good set of intake and exhaust cams might just wake it up a little to hold it's own with the big brother cobras out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
Time for a update... Still in the hunt for the intake manifold. Friend of mine is giving me his cobra exhaust manifolds since he is putting on LT headers. So that's one last obstacle overcame. On a brighter note the car is nice and clean now with the dash and carpet cleaned up actually looks decent. And the meguilars all tire and wheel cleaner works wonders on aluminum rims. They actually look brand new. So back to the hunt for the intake!!!

Also looking at possibly swapping the cams out while the engine is still out. If it's financially feasible. Think a good set of intake and exhaust cams might just wake it up a little to hold it's own with the big brother cobras out there.
What are you looking to spend? Now are you looking for a 96-98 Cobra intake, or would you take a 97-98 Mark VIII intake?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
32vNomad said:
What are you looking to spend? Now are you looking for a 96-98 Cobra intake, or would you take a 97-98 Mark VIII intake?
Right now I'm at the point to where I'd deal withthe mark 8 intake
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Time for a update.... Found a intake finally!!! 70 bucks including shipping so now I get to strip off the old one and get this one on. Been contemplating taking a set of 2v lt's and making 4v flanges welded to them. Think it will work? Also found a complete SLP stainless exhaust system for 300 bucks. From headers to tips!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Where are you finding all these deals! My project is going so slow cause i have to buy everything brand new when a used part will do just fine! 300 dollars for a full exhaust including headers?!?! thats awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
TopgearGT said:
Where are you finding all these deals! My project is going so slow cause i have to buy everything brand new when a used part will do just fine! 300 dollars for a full exhaust including headers?!?! thats awesome!
Junkyard actually. I didn't believe it til I seen them all nice and shiny. Then rummaged thru the car and found a receipt for 3k worth of exhaust mods!!

Oh and just so everyone knows if somebody tells you that the back mount throttle body intake will work they are lying!! It does not clear the firewall in a sn95. I don't know about the new edge but I know it won't my cars. You would have to cut out a serious chunk of the firewall. And I'm still iffy on why they say the side saddle oil pan won't work. Still not seeing anything that would hit it just yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And topgear call around or take a drive to some junkyards in your area. You can find all kinds of stuff just by walking thru their yards. I'd recommend grabbing a mark 8 radiator and cooling fan also. Much better than our mustang and cobra stuff from what I have read and researched. But that's what I do I'll take a day once a month and just walk the local yards and see what I can find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
And topgear call around or take a drive to some junkyards in your area. You can find all kinds of stuff just by walking thru their yards. I'd recommend grabbing a mark 8 radiator and cooling fan also. Much better than our mustang and cobra stuff from what I have read and researched. But that's what I do I'll take a day once a month and just walk the local yards and see what I can find.
Actually its smaller in overall size for the radiator. I run my stock radiator from my new edge and it runs just as my 2v with no issues. and that's with it in the 90's out. there is something that will come up. Now Im not sure if its the same with yours, but in my new edge I had an issue with the thermostat housing. It would interfere with the hydo stat line/ power steering line when I tried to set it up like the mark. Also the lower hose from the mark wont work right. I had to by some hoses but some are hard to get. Also the heater core lines come to be a problem. Using any Lincoln passenger side valve cover will bring issue with the heater core. Oh make sure to get a heater pipe for the rear from a cobra 98-01 or mach 1 03-04.



I used a cobra heater hose set from CJ pony, but if you can get a cover from a mach one set up that will work much better for you and you should be able to use your stock heater hoses.

On the thermostat housing I set mine up like this.




Got a mach 1 upper to radiator hose and engine to housing hose
Bypass to housing hose #22561 its a gates number
from housing to radiator #20887. you can get these both from an O'reilly's

there were a bunch of little over sites on the swap that were never mentioned in any right up that I have read. I will be doing one myself when I get all the bugs worked out.
 

·
Lorraine's driver
Joined
·
7,776 Posts
32vNomad said:
Actually its smaller in overall size for the radiator. I run my stock radiator from my new edge and it runs just as my 2v with no issues. and that's with it in the 90's out. there is something that will come up. Now Im not sure if its the same with yours, but in my new edge I had an issue with the thermostat housing. It would interfere with the hydo stat line/ power steering line when I tried to set it up like the mark. Also the lower hose from the mark wont work right. I had to by some hoses but some are hard to get. Also the heater core lines come to be a problem. Using any Lincoln passenger side valve cover will bring issue with the heater core. Oh make sure to get a heater pipe for the rear from a cobra 98-01 or mach 1 03-04.

I used a cobra heater hose set from CJ pony, but if you can get a cover from a mach one set up that will work much better for you and you should be able to use your stock heater hoses.

On the thermostat housing I set mine up like this.

Got a mach 1 upper to radiator hose and engine to housing hose
Bypass to housing hose #22561 its a gates number
from housing to radiator #20887. you can get these both from an O'reilly's

there were a bunch of little over sites on the swap that were never mentioned in any right up that I have read. I will be doing one myself when I get all the bugs worked out.
They should make your write-up a sticky.
 
1 - 20 of 538 Posts
Top