Mustang Evolution Forum banner

97 Mustang GT Build Brainstorming

6K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  TheJigShow 
#1 ·
After a short period of my 97 GT being up for sale on Craigslist, I took it down. I just can't sell it. So be it as it may, I'm keeping my 97 GT along with my 04 GT. The 2004 I wish to use as a daily driver with bolt-ins and appearance mods only to maintain reliability but still have a quick ride. As for the 97, I wish to build it.

The current condition of my 97 is basically stock with an auto, except with a BBK H-Pipe & Pypes Violator Catback, a cold air intake, and 315 street tires. What my goal is to build the motor, with heads, cam, intake, long tube exhaust, and more than likely a 5-speed swap, along with build the rear (which needs fixing up anyways). I, as always, ask for your opinions, such as bore and stroke, built bottom end for a blower (even though I wish to run N/A), and etc.

The trouble is I don't know exactly what to do about the heads/cam/intake part. I cannot find heads for the 96-98 2-valve motors to save my life. If I do a PI swap, idk what I would need, and if I do if I need the computer. I'm sure I'm not the first that desires to do a build on a nPI motor, so that's why I'm asking. Any help I will appreciate!

#2 ·
I've also considered the possibility of porting the stock heads, but not sure of that's the best method.

#3 ·
In my opinion,first you gotta have an idea what you want to do in the long run as to not waste money on other parts that in the end will need to be upgraded even more. The pi swap is a relatively easy and good start. You don't have to disassemble the shortblock and you'll gain a decent amount of horsepower. And then later on you'll have the option of going forged internals, spec'd to what your goals are..boost,spray, high compression n/a etc...

#4 ·
You cant find good non PI heads because its stupid not to go pi. All aftermarkets are based off of a pi head for a reason. Ported non pi heads will only flow about the same as a stock pi head. It would be pointless to keep the old heads. Pi heads on your motor actually bump compression up as well and obviously the pi intakes will now be an easy install which also makes a decent amount more power over npi intakes. If you want a high hp NA motor you want trickflow heads

#5 ·
BayyGT said:
In my opinion,first you gotta have an idea what you want to do in the long run as to not waste money on other parts that in the end will need to be upgraded even more. The pi swap is a relatively easy and good start. You don't have to disassemble the shortblock and you'll gain a decent amount of horsepower. And then later on you'll have the option of going forged internals, spec'd to what your goals are..boost,spray, high compression n/a etc...
Very good point. I think what I want to do is build an N/A motor with some nitrous, most likely 150-200 shot. Do heads/cam/intake/exhaust combo.

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

onesickstang01 said:
You cant find good non PI heads because its stupid not to go pi. All aftermarkets are based off of a pi head for a reason. Ported non pi heads will only flow about the same as a stock pi head. It would be pointless to keep the old heads. Pi heads on your motor actually bump compression up as well and obviously the pi intakes will now be an easy install which also makes a decent amount more power over npi intakes. If you want a high hp NA motor you want trickflow heads
Agreed. I figured any head would be better than the non PI heads, but anytime I look for aftermarket heads, it's only for the 99-04s. So my question is what should I get to make it accept aftermarket heads for 99-04, or should I just stick with a stock PI swap with cams and a better intake made for the PI heads? Like I know I need to get PI but I can't find anything to do so. Or I just need to know what to do for the swap.

#6 ·
If you use any aftermarket head it will swap right over. Head gaskets are the same but use new obviously. Head bokts ect are all same. Pretty much heads and intake are all you need. It would be the same as doing a pi swap, but instead o stock heads you are usinng aftermarket. Same thing really

#7 ·
onesickstang01 said:
If you use any aftermarket head it will swap right over. Head gaskets are the same but use new obviously. Head bokts ect are all same. Pretty much heads and intake are all you need. It would be the same as doing a pi swap, but instead o stock heads you are usinng aftermarket. Same thing really
So just buy the heads, cams, and intake for a 99-04 and everything will fit? Anything else I will need? And what type of heads, cam, and intake do you recommend?

#9 ·
Ok. Trick flow heads, stage 2 comp cams, and the stock PI intake manifold will do. Thanks for your help guys.

#11 ·
How come just the stage 1? I would imagine stage 2 would yield more power, plus I want a good lopey idle. Would stage 1 still make it lopey? And for the heads: 38cc or 44cc?

#12 ·
Nick's Stage 1 cams are slightly more aggressive than Big name Stage 1's., and will give you some chop.

As for the CC size, depends on what the future outlook for the setup is. If your going to do super/turbocharging in the future, go with the 44cc heads. Staying N/A and doing a 10.5-11.0:1 street N/A setup, go with the 38's.

#13 ·
Fair enough. I'll contact him. And ok then 38 it is. Will the build I have here give me that compression? And those heads are expensive. What if I just did FRPP PI Heads?

#16 ·
Yeah I don't want that issue. So 262 is what I'll stick with. I won't make 378 to the wheels but I won't have clearance issues.

#17 ·
In testing, the 270's only made 7-10hp over the 262's, but cost quite a bit of TQ in the midrange between 2500-4500rpm.

Nick McKinney has a perfect set for you. Modular Head Shop. Send him and email. They are actually between the Comp 262 and 270, sound good, and have plenty of PTV clearance.

#18 ·
That's awesome then. Just need his email. You have it?

#20 ·
Cool. Thanks man!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.