Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1998 Cobra R rims (17x9) and was wondering what's the widest tire i should put in the rear?

I currently have a 2001 Mustang V6 convert , with eibach springs (1.5 drop) with 245/50/17 in front and 275/40/17 in rear. I'm planning to put the 275/40/17 in the front and get a wider tire for the rear but was wondering what tire would be the widest?

thanks
James

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wouldnt recommend gettin wider tires in the back then the front, especially with a v6, but hey that might just be me... :disgust:

·
I liek gramer
7,941 Posts
I personally would recommend getting the same size tires all around, just for rotating purposes. Others on the forums would rather have the staggered look, just for looks or maybe traction, I dunno. But on a six, you probably won't have a lot to worry about without lots of mods, and I personally am more concerned with tire life than with an extra XX cm of tire that few people will notice, if anybody.

·
Premium Member
19,576 Posts
275 on the front is hella wide, you're traction in the rain will actually decrease with that much rubber on the front.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm

Why would my traction decrease in the rain with a 275/40/17 up front? Isn't it if there is more rubber there is more traction ?

·
Banned
9,903 Posts
lowflyn said:
275 on the front is hella wide, you're traction in the rain will actually decrease with that much rubber on the front.
275/40/17 is what comes on a 03-04 Cobra stock with the 17x9 rims. You wont lose traction with that wide of a tire on front

·
Premium Member
19,576 Posts
Brent said:
275/40/17 is what comes on a 03-04 Cobra stock with the 17x9 rims. You wont lose traction with that wide of a tire on front
You sure? I've always heard having that much rubber up front will just help hydoplaning...hm...

·
Premium Member
19,576 Posts
Then howcome ppl are running 245's on 18x9 rims? I know that's too small, but I mean a 265 looks decent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.