Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking at the two Mustangs and wondering the differences between the two. I know the styles are different, but what about power to power. Is there much of a big difference in hp and torque. Also are they about equal in power gains with the amount of bolt ons and mods.

Im asking because ive been looking for a Mach 1 or early Cobra. I realky like the looks of the Mach 1 but Im finding 99-01 Cobras for good prices around me.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
Ive been looking at the two Mustangs and wondering the differences between the two. I know the styles are different, but what about power to power. Is there much of a big difference in hp and torque. Also are they about equal in power gains with the amount of bolt ons and mods.

Im asking because ive been looking for a Mach 1 or early Cobra. I realky like the looks of the Mach 1 but Im finding 99-01 Cobras for good prices around me.
The Mach's had 305HP and 320lbs of torque.(from mach1registry.com) The 99/01 Cobra's had 320HP and 317lbs of torque.(from Wikipedia)<---Not sure if that was underrated. I've heard the 99's had some engine issues, but I'm not really sure exactly what. Slow2V is right about the forged crank, but that's only with the manual tranny cars. They had a little higher redline. The mach1registry.com has a lot of specs for the 03-04 Mach 1 and compare to the GT's and Bullitt's. Too bad they don't compare to the 99/01 Cobra's, DOH! The Mach 1's had the same brakes as the Cobra's of the same year. They are 1/2" lower than the GT's stock for stock.

Heavily debated...Is the shaker really functional? It may not be RAM air functional, but the proof is in the dirty filter IMO.

View attachment 77137
That dirt ring lines up perfect with the piping from the shaker. At the very least, it's providing nice cold air more consistently that without the shaker. JMO

I love my Mach 1, but I would love a Cobra too - tough choice between the two. Good luck and I hope you find what you want.

·
Loc: Austin,TX
5,980 Posts
99 cobras had a recall due to not meeting HP expectations and they fixed the issue in 2001. If you are looking at a 99 ask the owner if he has paperwork to show proof of the recall or take the vin to a ford dealer and have them run the history to see if the recall work was done. The 01 also has better seats but watch out for the clunk in the rear end.

03-04 Cobra is a better car than the 99/01 cobra and Mach put together....hands down.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Azure said:
The Mach's had 305HP and 320lbs of torque.(from mach1registry.com) The 99/01 Cobra's had 320HP and 317lbs of torque.(from Wikipedia)<---Not sure if that was underrated. I've heard the 99's had some engine issues, but I'm not really sure exactly what. Slow2V is right about the forged crank, but that's only with the manual tranny cars. They had a little higher redline. The mach1registry.com has a lot of specs for the 03-04 Mach 1 and compare to the GT's and Bullitt's. Too bad they don't compare to the 99/01 Cobra's, DOH! The Mach 1's had the same brakes as the Cobra's of the same year. They are 1/2" lower than the GT's stock for stock.

Heavily debated...Is the shaker really functional? It may not be RAM air functional, but the proof is in the dirty filter IMO.

That dirt ring lines up perfect with the piping from the shaker. At the very least, it's providing nice cold air more consistently that without the shaker. JMO

I love my Mach 1, but I would love a Cobra too - tough choice between the two. Good luck and I hope you find what you want.
Thanks Azure that's helpful.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
99 cobras had a recall due to not meeting HP expectations and they fixed the issue in 2001. If you are looking at a 99 ask the owner if he has paperwork to show proof of the recall or take the vin to a ford dealer and have them run the history to see if the recall work was done. The 01 also has better seats but watch out for the clunk in the rear end.

03-04 Cobra is a better car than the 99/01 cobra and Mach put together....hands down.
They are great...if you can find one that hasn't been ran to death or over-modded.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DDTCM said:

Yea ive also heard in general that the 32v heads had a oil flow problem to the back of the heads. I would love to be able to buy a 03-04 Cobra but $$$ gets in the way of that. If I go for a Mach 1 im looking at $13-18k and a 99-01 Cobra $8-12 that's why im debating the two.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I believe I read somewhere that the 03/04 Mach 1's shaker hood accounted for 18% of the air in the engine. The majority routing from the other intake.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Mach 1

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
DDTCM said:

Most 99s had theirs fixed for free just find the vin number and call 1800fordsvt I think and they'll tell u the number it was and if fix was made. I got a 99 cobra I love to drive and with the act tuner and exhaust I burnout so easily but the Mach 1s are quicker from takeoff especially automatic but in the end 320hp compared to 305hp the 320hp wins IMO but everyone has different opinions so there isn't a right answer just choose what u like :p

·
Registered
915 Posts
Mach 1 man, I believe the 99-01 cobra had IRS also. Not 100% though. I've drove my friends 99 with a cai and cat back exhaust. My full bolt on Mach 1 would walk it though. But I also had 4.10s

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
Actually stock for stock the Mach 1 manual had better 1/4 mile times than the 99 Cobra. I suspect that it could be because the Mach's came with 3.55 gears stock. Also, the auto Mach's are slower than the manual Mach's - stock for stock. They had a higher redline and really did well at the higher RPMs.

·
5,980 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
The 99s also have a forged crank. and the head issue is a cooling problem of not flowing very well to the back to cylinders. and also had a porting issue on the intake. if the intake got fixed there should be a green dot or stamp i believe on the intake sayin that it was fixed. the 99s were also the first year of irs. difference between the 99/01s is the interiors and the rear bumpers. but the main differences between the cobras and the machs are colors, interiors, visual effects, and having a auto/manual. i love my 99 the irs rides so much better than a sra. imo id rather spend 8-12k than 14+ for 10hp if that. and the 99s if they had the fixes are no wuss by no means. i have pulled 13 flats at the track bone stock before. but it all comes down to what you want and what you wanna spend. i paid $9500 for mine back in 08 with 70k on it from the original owner and i have another 8k into it and hopefully will be sitting in the 700rwhp range after christmas. buying the 99 imo made it a little easier on the wallet to save money for more mods in the end im sure everyone here will agree once you get a stang the mod fever will hit you, more money for mods is always a plus. goodluck man with your decision but any of these cars is a good buy reguardless of the year

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Black99Snake said:
The 99s also have a forged crank. and the head issue is a cooling problem of not flowing very well to the back to cylinders. and also had a porting issue on the intake. if the intake got fixed there should be a green dot or stamp i believe on the intake sayin that it was fixed. the 99s were also the first year of irs. difference between the 99/01s is the interiors and the rear bumpers. but the main differences between the cobras and the machs are colors, interiors, visual effects, and having a auto/manual. i love my 99 the irs rides so much better than a sra. imo id rather spend 8-12k than 14+ for 10hp if that. and the 99s if they had the fixes are no wuss by no means. i have pulled 13 flats at the track bone stock before. but it all comes down to what you want and what you wanna spend. i paid $9500 for mine back in 08 with 70k on it from the original owner and i have another 8k into it and hopefully will be sitting in the 700rwhp range after christmas. buying the 99 imo made it a little easier on the wallet to save money for more mods in the end im sure everyone here will agree once you get a stang the mod fever will hit you, more money for mods is always a plus. goodluck man with your decision but any of these cars is a good buy reguardless of the year
+1 people seem to think the 99 cobras are underrated but in my book the price is cheaper and plus it's a freaking cobra. :) I don't see a snak symbol on the Mach 1s engine :p

Attachments

·
5,980 Posts
A snake on your car only means one thing,its a Cobra. Any car can be built to please and the mach is no slouch. Buy a 99 and throw 8 grand at it and you will still be limited on power. Buy a termi (even with 70k miles is worth it) for $18k throw $1k at it and you can have yourself a bulletproof 470whp. Its just a better starting point and car period. Plus they are worth more in the end. The 99 are referred to as the bastard stepchild most of the time.

·
5,980 Posts
Not saying a 99 can't be built. The Termi is just a better overall car to start with and is more desirable/collectable.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
DDTCM said:
Not saying a 99 can't be built. The Termi is just a better overall car to start with and is more desirable/collectable.
U gotta look at it like this the terminators are also about 4 and 5 years older than the 99s it like comparing the 12 and 13 Shelby gt500s the 99 was good for it's year but the terminator was also newer.

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

FortyBrandon said:
U gotta look at it like this the terminators are also about 4 and 5 years older than the 99s it like comparing the 12 and 13 Shelby gt500s the 99 was good for it's year but the terminator was also newer.
Newer ^ my bad

1 - 20 of 40 Posts