Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUST CURIOUS... HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU HAVE A LEAK WHERE THE HEADER CONNECTS TO THE EXHAUST? OR IF THE HEADERS NEED A CHANGE?

THANKS! :lol:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
If u have an exhaust leak you will be able to hear it
I have one and it sounds like a ticking sound

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes you will definitely hear it! And at lower rpm it will sound like a ticking and as you rev up it will get louder and soundlre like air escaping and getting sucked back in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Make sure you check the exhaust manifold around the ball end of the collector. Sometimes that will have a crack around right where the down pipe clamp meets the ball. On my 96 3.8 that's where it broke and it took me a while to find it. But one of the guys I use to work with at a local shop pointed me in that direction. And about $300 later I put in a set of BBK shorties and it sounds way better now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It depends on how bad the leak is. If it's a sizable leak the motor will lose back pressure and have a rough idle, and a lose of power. And greatly affect your fuel mileage in the process. And on some cases the car has a very hard time to stay running.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the same problem. It ticks, and gets louder when the RPMs are higher. Is it really bad if I drive my car in this condition?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
shipwreck_98 said:
Best way to check is to take it apart. If its the passenger side, then I would bet you have a leak.
This guys like a wizard. My car, passenger side, ticking noise since i got the car. ITS LIKE HE KNOWS! :0

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey I'm glad you found the exhaust leak on your car. It took forever to find mine. It was really getting annoying for me when i would sit in the drive thru of a fast food resturant and having to hear my exhaust tick like crazy. So I'm glad I helped you find the leak.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks PonyBoy, cant really tell if its sarcasm or not. Just speaking from experience, got fed up with the noise, so I took off the mid-pipe and the connecter from the manifold damn near hit me in the head. Guess I found the exhaust leak.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
shipwreck_98 said:
Thanks PonyBoy, cant really tell if its sarcasm or not. Just speaking from experience, got fed up with the noise, so I took off the mid-pipe and the connecter from the manifold damn near hit me in the head. Guess I found the exhaust leak.
No in all seriousness lol, thats the EXACT sound i noticed and same side its coming from, so now i know what that sound is haha

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have the same problem. It ticks, and gets louder when the RPMs are higher. Is it really bad if I drive my car in this condition?
It is a lil bad and more annoying than anything
If its bad enough it will throw a cel light for a bad cat and you wont pass inspection

·
Registered
54 Posts
Camo1967Mustang said:
It is a lil bad and more annoying than anything
If its bad enough it will throw a cel light for a bad cat and you wont pass inspection
Okay... The ticking only occurs if I accelerate faster, or step in the on the gas... But it does feel like I lose power... I don't think they inspect in Arkansas... I'm at Texarkana, TX during the week for school, but My car is registered in Arkansas...

·
Registered
4 Posts
These cars the exhaust manifold always breaks ...2 weekends ago mine finally broke off good thing it was close to my cousins but anywho its best u change it out to a new one instead of welding it over and over mine cost 105 stock from autozone u could do it urself but its best u have s helper

1 - 19 of 19 Posts