Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have an 02 3.8 auto and I was wondering whats better... A shaker system or an cold air intake? And which is better with a tuner.... For more horses?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
CAI and tuner are supposed to give some decent gains. The Shaker system i've heard is as someone said Just for looks. But Lord, does it look nice. Also you must consider in order to use the shaker, you need the shaker hood i believe. Thats a little too much cost if it were me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CAI and tuner are supposed to give some decent gains. The Shaker system i've heard is as someone said Just for looks. But Lord, does it look nice. Also you must consider in order to use the shaker, you need the shaker hood i believe. Thats a little too much cost if it were me.
You don't need the Mach 1 shaker hood it will fit the 00 to 02 hoods you just won't see it

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Like they said shaker wouldn't gain near as much as cai and tuner would

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
You don't need the Mach 1 shaker hood it will fit the 00 to 02 hoods you just won't see it
And hows that? A shaker system is too tall for a stock hood. Thats why CDC makes a hood kit to cut a v6 & gt hood to fit it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Coming from someone who has had their 2002 car since 2003, take what I say how you will.

Don't waste your money on the Shaker Hood for the 3.8/3.9L...

The Shaker will give you pretty much the same gains the CAI will give you... which is pretty much nothing.

Whatever gains you may get, 99% will come from the tuner, 1 % will come from your intake. With the shaker, maybe the gain percentage will be 98% tuner, 2% shaker, but I highly doubt it.

99-04 shaker question - MustangForums.com

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f256/t228245/

Shaker Hood is it worth $800..? - Ford Mustang Forums

This is the GT guys confirming no performance gains...
Mustang Ram Air Shaker Scoop System is it worth the money

V6 Shaker Hood is out! - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

Just buy a CAI (if you must)... but really a tuner will give you everything you need.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
1slosix said:
Pretty much..id like a shaker as a visual mod but only a used one lol.
+1 not spending $700 for 3 hp if that. They should make it more reasonably priced.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'd go with the CAI and tuner personally. The shaker system looks better, but why put that much money into it for something that is mainly for looks. Haha.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Mach 1 owner here, the shaker makes no difference whatsoever on a dyno. On the street /strip though, you definitely see lower intake temps. I measured both with and without and the differences were cool to note. Also, a mach 1 with the shaker is a tiny bit faster on average through the quarter than a mach with a standard cobra hood. All that said. It isn't worth a grand to have it done right. The cdc kit makes you cut a rough hole then covers it with a Plastic cover. Your alot better off finding a mach hood too imo. The shaker is so much fun when driving. Passengers love it too.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Mach 1 owner here, the shaker makes no difference whatsoever on a dyno. On the street /strip though, you definitely see lower intake temps. I measured both with and without and the differences were cool to note. Also, a mach 1 with the shaker is a tiny bit faster on average through the quarter than a mach with a standard cobra hood. All that said. It isn't worth a grand to have it done right. The cdc kit makes you cut a rough hole then covers it with a Plastic cover. Your alot better off finding a mach hood too imo. The shaker is so much fun when driving. Passengers love it too.
Like I said lol.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I recently put a CAI on my 01 V6 but don't have a tuner yet. That's on my next purchase list along with a dual conversion

1 - 18 of 18 Posts