Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at getting a 99 cobra or a 03 mach 1 very soon. Both perform well enough for me to be happy. What I am wondering about is reliability. Is there a difference in maintainence for these cars? How many miles is too many for them? The 99 cobra Im looking at has 48k. There are a few Mach 1s I am looking at with similar mileage, and then there is a 99 cobra with 130k miles and a rebuild engine with teksid block (10k on rebuild)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
manual transmissions only btw. I want more power than a 2v, I want it bone stock, and I don't like S197s

·
Super Moderator
17,969 Posts
Whichever one is in better shape. They are damn near identical cars for all intents and purposes minus the IRS in the Cobra and a few cosmetics as well as the Mach specific stuff in the Mach. There is also the 01 Cobra that has one off seats and a better IRS. If you do get a 99 Cobra, make sure the recall was done on it. Early run 99s were underpowered and Ford put a new exhaust and a more aggressive tune and I think a redesigned air intake on it.

If it was me and it boiled down to the two and the price/condition was similar. Mach all the way. Less troublesome rear if you are staying stock, newer, and the shaker hood is just cool as hell. Get it in Competition Orange if you can.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Thanks for the mention on the 01 cobra seats. They look very nice.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I honestly would rather have the Mach 1 but the Cobras are easier to find in mint shape and they actually cost significantly less around here. Im going to look at a Cobra tomorrow thats 45 minutes away from me. 48k miles and bone stock. The nicest Mach 1 I have found for that money was modded (not hideously though) and had 84k miles.

I personally don't want something that has so much as been freaking touched by anybody else's tools haha

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
As said, performance wise, both are pretty even cars. I give the edge to the Mach due to the revised heads and 3.55 gears.

As a 4V owner maintenance is pretty straight forwards. Feed it the right fuel, give it a proper tune, and keep it well lubricated and they'll run forever. I prefer the SRA over the IRS...simpler system with fewer moving parts to fail..but with some upgraded bushings etc the IRS will perform well enough for most people out there. Comes down to purpose, track duty or corner carver.

I looked at quite a few machs and cobras when I wanted another mustang. I would gladly take a higher mileage car (100k or less) with the original engine/transmission over a car that has been rebuilt twice and has no documentation. There are just too many things that can go wrong imo. But that's just me, if someone is confident enough in the sellers work and/or knows them then go for it.

It really comes down to preference. Cobras are badass, but the Machs carry the heritage. They are a couple years newer and have some updates the 99/01 cars don't offer. The cobras definitely carry the sleeper status, (especially the 99/01's), while the Machs scream "look at me!"

Can't speak for a N/A cobra, but when stock form in a Mach gets boring do exhaust, intake, spacer, gears, dyno tune and you have a solid 300rwhp car.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As said, performance wise, both are pretty even cars. I give the edge to the Mach due to the revised heads and 3.55 gears.

As a 4V owner maintenance is pretty straight forwards. Feed it the right fuel, give it a proper tune, and keep it well lubricated and they'll run forever. I prefer the SRA over the IRS...simpler system with fewer moving parts to fail..but with some upgraded bushings etc the IRS will perform well enough for most people out there. Comes down to purpose, track duty or corner carver.

I looked at quite a few machs and cobras when I wanted another mustang. I would gladly take a higher mileage car (100k or less) with the original engine/transmission over a car that has been rebuilt twice and has no documentation. There are just too many things that can go wrong imo. But that's just me, if someone is confident enough in the sellers work and/or knows them then go for it.

It really comes down to preference. Cobras are badass, but the Machs carry the heritage. They are a couple years newer and have some updates the 99/01 cars don't offer. The cobras definitely carry the sleeper status, (especially the 99/01's), while the Machs scream "look at me!"

Can't speak for a N/A cobra, but when stock form in a Mach gets boring do exhaust, intake, spacer, gears, dyno tune and you have a solid 300rwhp car.
I see you're in Wisconsin and own a Mach 1... :cool:

Im in wisconsin and I have a brick of money :whistling:

·
Super Moderator
17,969 Posts
I honestly would rather have the Mach 1 but the Cobras are easier to find in mint shape and they actually cost significantly less around here. Im going to look at a Cobra tomorrow thats 45 minutes away from me. 48k miles and bone stock. The nicest Mach 1 I have found for that money was modded (not hideously though) and had 84k miles.

I personally don't want something that has so much as been freaking touched by anybody else's tools haha
Then get the Cobra. People make way too big a deal on the revised C heads IMO and the IRS is nice if you want handling, you just have to be aware that the IRS has major issues with wheel hop and durability in stock form and is heavy.

Now... the 99 vs 01 Cobras... 01s have a slightly stronger IRS and the Cobra seats. The 99s benefit from the revised T45 transmission vs the first year run of the 3650 in 01 which was known to be problematic so watch out for that.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I see you're in Wisconsin and own a Mach 1... :cool:

Im in wisconsin and I have a brick of money :whistling:
I'm in Iowa...

...with no Mach 1...
...with no brick of money...

You can both come visit!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Then get the Cobra. People make way too big a deal on the revised C heads IMO and the IRS is nice if you want handling, you just have to be aware that the IRS has major issues with wheel hop and durability in stock form and is heavy.

Now... the 99 vs 01 Cobras... 01s have a slightly stronger IRS and the Cobra seats. The 99s benefit from the revised T45 transmission vs the first year run of the 3650 in 01 which was known to be problematic so watch out for that.
I am not really too worried about the IRS. I have an entire SRA assembly I can swap in :thumb:

Also, the weight of the IRS is in a good spot in my opinion. Id imagine that slightly helps the weight balance while also doing IRS magical things in the turns

·
Super Moderator
17,969 Posts
IRS will do no magical things in turns with 15 year old rubber bushings... whole shebang needs to be dropped and replaced with the FTBR kit which is not all that much money at $700 to get the IRS sorted.

And adding weight can help the overall distribution but you still want the car as light as possible. Easy to take weight off the front especially with the aluminum block on the Cobra even with the 4V heads/cams adding a little more weight than what it would with a 2V.

And the SRA can be setup to handle just as well or better than the IRS if you are going after that. They both have their advantages and disadvantages as far as that goes.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

I wouldn't sell panther any car I owned, ever. Even if he had a gun to my head and my families heads and were offering the countries debt in money to me in cash to sell Panther a car. He's just going to screw it up, round off every bolt he touches, get mad at it and remove all the EFI and slap a carb on it. No thanks I'll keep my car.

Sent from the mothership.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts