Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dual 2 chamber flows on right now and I was wondering how the exhaust would change if I removed the CATS? I found a shop that will remove them for me for $100 and there are no emissions testing in Columbus, Georgia.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It will completly change the sound of the exhaust. Cat's, from my understanding, act as a sound dampener before the exhaust even gets to your mufflers. My guess, Your car will be about twice as loud as it is now.

·
Registered
941 Posts
yes, it will sound louder, but that isn't always good.

i've heard a cobra with and without cat and with cats sounded much better. with flows and no cat your car will sound rackety and well, ricey. for performance it isn't bad, but if you are doing it for sound then i recommend not doing it. v6's just don't sound as sexy as v8's and no v6 can ever sound like a v8, even a cammed, built s/c'd stang. and yes, i've heard them before.

ps - green ownz dis thread

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe go with 2 high flow cats in the rear? That should make it louder but not as loud as with the cats removed. That's what I would do ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
i took mine off and put on an off road h pipe and yes it is loud. at an idle it sounds like a v8 i've been told a few times. try it and see! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
a232stang said:
I will be getting a exaust set up with a Off Road H-Pipe soon Hopefully.... with MAC Flowpaths.

And why are you doing this. It sounds like ass with no cats and totally unneccessary you will gain nothing in HP and you will loose torque

In 2 years when federal law requires all 50 states to have federally overseen emission test you will be changing it back. just does not make sense, spend a little more and get catted Hpipe but even those should be your last mod after you do the head, cam and intake upgrades

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
mfracing said:
what ever! i run 14.7 n/a on street tires and 13.7 with n20 on street tires! :p
Thats nice, but when you remove cats you loose torque.
You also gain slightly Top end power. But you wont really notice that.
I would recommend keeping your cats, or go with hi flow cats.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have a 5 speed with 4.10 gears, i didn't really feel any loss of low end power or tork, i did pick up 4mph top end!

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
I dont really care about the 4 hp I might lose goin with a off road H pipe. I mainly a Apperance person with some decent power under the hood.

I personally dont think they sound that bad.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
almost everyone I have heard sound like ass in the car outside it is ricey ass hell at highway speeds

But Brent it is your car just hope you know what you are doing

Brent how old are you ???

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
a232stang said:
I dont really care about the 4 hp I might lose goin with a off road H pipe. I mainly a Apperance person with some decent power under the hood.

where are you getting this 4hp number?

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Smokedya95stang said:
a232stang said:

where are you getting this 5hp number?

OH no are we seeing ricer math!! wait that could not be ricer math because it starts at 50HP hahahahahahahaha ;) ;)

Corey

1 - 18 of 18 Posts