Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapping rear ends/ suspensions with an 03 Cobra the first week in February, I have to drive to Maryland and pay 200 on Labor costs, I think thats a decent deal!! What do you guys think? Heck, I am not into drag racing anyway. I will end up with 355s instead of 3.73s, which is ok too, better gas mileage for me. :D

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There I come up on the short end of the stick. But I am willing to take that loss for the IRS. I will just have to get another catback later on. He gets my catback and I get his stock cobra catback. I do get his cobra rear brakes so that is another plus. I had already planned on a cobra front brake swap down the line, so I will end up will Cobra brakes all the way around. I will also loose my upper and lower control arms in the swap, no great loss there, they are cheap granatellis.

·
Registered
567 Posts
not bad.

I've always wanted to do the swap in the back of my mind but Im too much of an addict for a solid rear.

Will the cobra catback match up with a GT h-pipe? Or does anything need to be custom?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take it that it will, I have a mac cat H pipe on there, he said he had done the same thing before on a 99 Cobra he had with no problems, so I guess he knows the ropes, he really is only using the shell of my 8.8, going with a cone trac lock and Moser 31 spline axles he said.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might just go with some different mufflers and keep the stock cobra exhaust I don't think the 2 1/2 system really made that big a difference, nice, but rattles all the time, lol.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
The Flowmaster Cobra cat with an X-pipe style crossover is over 500 bucks. :oops:

Cut the pipes off from the muffler and get the mandrel bent to go around the suspension. That's my advice.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
hell no Dynomax SS ultra flows with custom piping from a muffler shop V8 motors dont need chambered or baffled mufflers to sound good plus he would loose hp with flowmasters

·
Registered
941 Posts
when you do it, go ahead and get MM bushings so when you do the swap you're already on top of things. i almost did that myself, are you going to turn it into a road racer/autoxer or just fun for daily driving?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just fun for daily driving really, the 03 is supposed to be the most heavy duty IRS built so far they say. I am having to pay out of pocket 200 labor on this, don't want to run up more labor costs!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
v6 power, you got IRS on your V6?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't want to mess with custom muffler shop piping Corey, no body around here stocks SS pipes, I would just as soon put magnaflow or dynamax mufflers on the stock cobra 2 1/4 pipes I think. Don't they go under the rear end on the IRS? I don't need any X pipe, I have Mac cat H, can't go offroad, we have emissions inspections now here.

·
Registered
941 Posts
no, but i almost did. i got screwed though when the guy crawfished on me. i wasted a total of about 100$ on parts to be installed on the swap date.

i am going drag now. later in life i want a road racer but it's too expensive. going straight is cheaper. :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
V6PowerStang said:
i am going drag now. later in life i want a road racer but it's too expensive. going straight is cheaper. :)

haha that all depends on how hardcore you want to go ;) suspension for anything isnt cheap.

·
Registered
941 Posts
yeah, but first things first, power, which i do not have.

stangin did you get the problem figured out as to why your power is so low? i was wondering what happened.

·
Registered
567 Posts
V6PowerStang said:
yeah, but first things first, power, which i do not have.

stangin did you get the problem figured out as to why your power is so low? i was wondering what happened.
I have a new lower on the way from Mik, and am workin on getting an SCT chip and/or dynotune in the near future.

Im hoping that it resolves everyhting.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts