Mustang Evolution Forum banner

99GT vert/03Cobra IRS

3K views 31 replies 5 participants last post by  tire 
#1 ·
Swapping rear ends/ suspensions with an 03 Cobra the first week in February, I have to drive to Maryland and pay 200 on Labor costs, I think thats a decent deal!! What do you guys think? Heck, I am not into drag racing anyway. I will end up with 355s instead of 3.73s, which is ok too, better gas mileage for me. :D

#3 ·
There I come up on the short end of the stick. But I am willing to take that loss for the IRS. I will just have to get another catback later on. He gets my catback and I get his stock cobra catback. I do get his cobra rear brakes so that is another plus. I had already planned on a cobra front brake swap down the line, so I will end up will Cobra brakes all the way around. I will also loose my upper and lower control arms in the swap, no great loss there, they are cheap granatellis.

#4 ·
not bad.

I've always wanted to do the swap in the back of my mind but Im too much of an addict for a solid rear.

Will the cobra catback match up with a GT h-pipe? Or does anything need to be custom?

#5 ·
I take it that it will, I have a mac cat H pipe on there, he said he had done the same thing before on a 99 Cobra he had with no problems, so I guess he knows the ropes, he really is only using the shell of my 8.8, going with a cone trac lock and Moser 31 spline axles he said.

#6 ·
I might just go with some different mufflers and keep the stock cobra exhaust I don't think the 2 1/2 system really made that big a difference, nice, but rattles all the time, lol.

#10 ·
Just fun for daily driving really, the 03 is supposed to be the most heavy duty IRS built so far they say. I am having to pay out of pocket 200 labor on this, don't want to run up more labor costs!

#11 ·
v6 power, you got IRS on your V6?

#12 ·
I don't want to mess with custom muffler shop piping Corey, no body around here stocks SS pipes, I would just as soon put magnaflow or dynamax mufflers on the stock cobra 2 1/4 pipes I think. Don't they go under the rear end on the IRS? I don't need any X pipe, I have Mac cat H, can't go offroad, we have emissions inspections now here.

#14 ·
no, but i almost did. i got screwed though when the guy crawfished on me. i wasted a total of about 100$ on parts to be installed on the swap date.

i am going drag now. later in life i want a road racer but it's too expensive. going straight is cheaper. :)

#17 ·
V6PowerStang said:
yeah, but first things first, power, which i do not have.

stangin did you get the problem figured out as to why your power is so low? i was wondering what happened.
I have a new lower on the way from Mik, and am workin on getting an SCT chip and/or dynotune in the near future.

Im hoping that it resolves everyhting.

#21 ·
Yeah, that is why so many of them are swapping to straight axle rear ends, I am sort of glad they are, I like IRS, always wanted one, and the 03 is the best one out for a mustang!! They are beefed up a lot from what the 99 and 01s were.....

#22 ·
yeah, a friend with a 99 (28 spline half shafts versus your 31's rick) broke his launching 1.9-2.0's on street tires... plus a spider gear, plus imput shaft on tranny, it sucked for him.

dont' drag it unless you are brave. there is a guy that did a whole write up on different IRS setups and what 60's he could pull... he then said screw it, IRS's just can't be dragged cause they break SO easily, plus they squat like mad. have fun with that, i'm kinda jealous, but when i cut 1.7 60's i'll be glad i stuck with live axle. :headbang:

#23 ·
Well, you can break anything drag racing, thats why I have been reluctant to do it really. Heck, you can break anything out here on the street just driving it around and playing for that matter, I know that from experience. So I think I will just stick with that and have fun.

#24 ·
V6 power, can you get 24# injectors? How much do they go for man? I don't want any right now, but I might upgrade later on and just get a different calibration tube for my C&L.

#26 ·
Don't think so, they look like 19s to me, they are color coded gold? That is the 99+ V6s with 21# injectors isn't it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.