Mustang Evolution Forum banner

81 - 100 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Ya, I read a few good things that helped me understand the whole thing. Including that it decreases octane.
I saw that thread. Good info man. Though I've seen worse. Yours was really clean.
I will post a picture of what I have collected since putting my separator on when I get back from vacation. Definitely worth it to me.

Sent from the Bathroom

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
My prior argument t is that a catch can collects and condenses the oil vapors. Which is why you see it in the can as so much. When it enters the intake it's vapor and doesn't condense as much so the small amounts that enter really don't do a whole lot, but over time I can see it gunking things up. Anyway yes I'm looking into one that isn't $100 freaking dollers. Damn rip off.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
$100 is miniscule for a little peace of mind in my opinion. You can rig something up if you'd like or just choose to ignore it. Thats your choice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Maybe for some but not mine. Ive seen my share of high mileage engines that look no dirtier than Voltz or Alfarrari (i can never get his name right, sorry Hassan) and they were stock motors being taken down for builds after already being boosted. I think there are many more factors involved like: how often you change your oil, the type of oil used, how good of a filter you have on your intake how hard you drive the car, how well you broke it in and just even how well it was built by the factory. Some guys are having issues with forgotten welds in the fenders and getting pools of water inside their cars as a result. Someone doesn't install the rings right, or backwards or whatever and you will have a lot more issues than just a little oil vapor entering your manifold. So ya, $100 is a lot more money in my opinion for something on the bottom of the overall big picture of things to worry about. That's just me playing devils advocate. Im looking around for one. maybe if i can find a used one or just rig one up as you said. You can sure find a ton of "universal" catch cans on ebay lol

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I bought one here for a bargain and thought maybe I will try it, so for the past past 200 miles since I installed it, I found about an Oz of milky oil in the can, this is after I drove it for an hour, it looks like whitish in color but after the oil cools off it turns into a dark color that looks like regular oil.. Paying full price for the can for me is not worth it but if you find a bargain doesn't hurt to try and peace of mind. I will take pictures next after 1000 miles of using it.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Maybe for some but not mine. Ive seen my share of high mileage engines that look no dirtier than Voltz or Alfarrari (i can never get his name right, sorry Hassan) and they were stock motors being taken down for builds after already being boosted. I think there are many more factors involved like: how often you change your oil, the type of oil used, how good of a filter you have on your intake how hard you drive the car, how well you broke it in and just even how well it was built by the factory. Some guys are having issues with forgotten welds in the fenders and getting pools of water inside their cars as a result. Someone doesn't install the rings right, or backwards or whatever and you will have a lot more issues than just a little oil vapor entering your manifold. So ya, $100 is a lot more money in my opinion for something on the bottom of the overall big picture of things to worry about. That's just me playing devils advocate. Im looking around for one. maybe if i can find a used one or just rig one up as you said. You can sure find a ton of "universal" catch cans on ebay lol

Another thing to consider is standard vs auto. An auto will engine brake literally every time you're slowing down, which puts a large amount of vacuum on the crankcase, whereas most people who drive a standard will just push the clutch in and coast.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I bought one here for a bargain and thought maybe I will try it, so for the past past 200 miles since I installed it, I found about an Oz of milky oil in the can, this is after I drove it for an hour, it looks like whitish in color but after the oil cools off it turns into a dark color that looks like regular oil.. Paying full price for the can for me is not worth it but if you find a bargain doesn't hurt to try and peace of mind. I will take pictures next after 1000 miles of using it.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
Ew, milky? thats odd. maybe there was still some water in there from when it was cleaned?

Another thing to consider is standard vs auto. An auto will engine brake literally every time you're slowing down, which puts a large amount of vacuum on the crankcase, whereas most people who drive a standard will just push the clutch in and coast.
That's a good point too. Also to go off that same idea of vacuum, a smaller port or pipe will create a larger vacuum (one of the reasons; aside from releasing crank case pressure why i drilled out and made larger PCV ports on my past vehicles) and therefore less oil vapor will be pushed out.

Voltz, here is the article i was referring to in regards to High Velocity porting. Its an interesting concept. Maybe you can decipher the science behind it?
Power News -- Think Fast--Intake Porting For Motorcycles and Cars

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Ew, milky? thats odd. maybe there was still some water in there from when it was cleaned?

That's a good point too. Also to go off that same idea of vacuum, a smaller port or pipe will create a larger vacuum (one of the reasons; aside from releasing crank case pressure why i drilled out and made larger PCV ports on my past vehicles) and therefore less oil vapor will be pushed out.

Voltz, here is the article i was referring to in regards to High Velocity porting. Its an interesting concept. Maybe you can decipher the science behind it?

It could be I used maf sensor cleaner when I was cleaning it.. I'll show you next time.

I felt 100 hp added after I installed it... Lol jk. ?

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #89

That is an interesting article ... going to need to do some more reading on that indeed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Volt is there possibly a chart on what rpm each common gear choice makes at say 70 mph? To compare to 2.73s and show the impact on highway fuel consumption.

SR Performance CAI, Diablosport Intune bama tuner, Roush Axleback, Matte black rocker stripes.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Volt is there possibly a chart on what rpm each common gear choice makes at say 70 mph? To compare to 2.73s and show the impact on highway fuel consumption.

SR Performance CAI, Diablosport Intune bama tuner, Roush Axleback, Matte black rocker stripes.
Ive seen a chart somewhere but now i cant seam to find it.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
So i got a Barnes and Noble gift card from my little sister for Christmas and was flipping through some engine building books for kicks, and came across an interesting term: Mean Flow Velocity. Take a gander at the link below:

https://books.google.com/books?id=9JefkYTKl7sC&pg=PT239&lpg=PT239&dq=mean+flow+velocity+torque&source=bl&ots=bfHZRhTfyp&sig=gmTXaFzsM_7Un4Dx5laApYwE2ds&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9RinVODPHsiiNrfCgPgE&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

In case anything gets mixed up, note the section titled: Relationship between primary pipe size, RPM, cylinder displacement, and torque. It breaks down what the "magic number" is for peak torque.

An excerpt from that book that i took a picture of (not technically illegal right lol? Ok fine, i have photographic memory) is as follows:
"Engineers have long recognized that this optumim flow path velocity is affected by cylinder displacement, compression ratio, and valve timing relative to piston position, which is controlled by stroke and rod length (rod/stroke ratio). Mean Flow Velocity is largely Governed by flow path cross sectionon the inlet and exhaust flow paths. A larger cross section requires more engine speed (rpm) to achieve MFV and position a peak torque. A smaller cross section shifts the torque to a lower engine speed.

So i think to answer your question, you'd basically need to be able to measure MFV of the intake and exhaust lol ... no big deal right. I'm sure theres some mathematical model for it, and this book actually mentions some "Affordable" engine modeling software that can be supposed on a basic computer (stupid me didnt think to take a picture of THAT), but i suppose that could be used to measure flow at various points... though i imagine thats getting beyond what your average hobbyist is willing and or capable of doing.

The truth about gears.. - Mustang Evolution

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Thanks for getting that!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Damn...ya thats a good read. Its a butterfly effect. You change one part, it affects another and another. The whole thing is changed depending on the modification.

Something interesting too is the gear chart listed here for the 3.7:
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f312/t348669/#post1947657

Shows a theoretical time loss going to 4.10s and avg best gear ratio is the 3.73s but 3.31-3.55 are both right behind by no more than 3-4 10ths so 3.31-.373 looks to be a "personal" choice...according to this chart.
I didnt see anything to the effect of gear to 65 mph/rpm...to determine possibility of drone in exhaust and mpg at hwy cruising speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great read everybody. I am starting my Mods and I am actually awaiting my JLT CAI and BAMA Tuner from AM. Cant wait to get them, trying to decide which MOD I want to get next,lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What will boost my horse power for a 2014 mustang Gt. v6 3.7l convertible with 305 hp st

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

81 - 100 of 191 Posts