Mustang Evolution Forum banner

101 - 120 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi I'm new to this. I currently drive a 1996 4.6 GT I'm debating wether to upgrade to a newer mustang and I'm set to test drive a 2014 (RED) v6 automatic this Friday. The dealer is asking 17 k for it. I am only 18, soon to go to college I work a part time job, I do not make much but I do make a decent amount of money. My question here is wether to wait and purchase a 5.0 ? (Save much more) or go for that v6?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi I'm new to this. I currently drive a 1996 4.6 GT I'm debating wether to upgrade to a newer mustang and I'm set to test drive a 2014 (RED) v6 automatic this Friday. The dealer is asking 17 k for it. I am only 18, soon to go to college I work a part time job, I do not make much but I do make a decent amount of money. My question here is wether to wait and purchase a 5.0 ? (Save much more) or go for that v6?

18 and college? Just keep driving the 96 GT and stay away from payments for awhile longer. I didn't get my first car loan until 24, and even then it was small, more for building credit than because I needed a car. Just my advice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I moved in and out of my dorm in an 01 mustang, and i had subs in the trunk. I'd say unless its costing more in maintenance than its worth to just keep the current car for now, though i certainly understand the appeal of a new car.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
+2...you have a long time to get that car you really want. If I had just saved my money instead of modding and dumping cash into my Accent I could have afforded a new 5.0 by the time I was 24...instead I had to bust my ass another 3 years to finally get my current V6

·
Registered
287 Posts
So you guys suggest I wait and save money ? Should I flake on the salesmen im set to test drive a 14' tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
So you guys suggest I wait and save money ? Should I flake on the salesmen im set to test drive a 14' tomorrow.

I would agree with them and just wait. You can always test drive the car, just be mentally prepared to walk away. They WILL pressure you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
287 Posts
That's true, sorry I'm more familiar with older mustangs. The v6 has 305 hrp, and the GT 400 or so? Is that thee only difference performance. Although the v8 sounds better.

·
Registered
287 Posts
And I have driven the v6, I gave the dealer dude a fake number so he wouldn't bug me. The v6 feels amazing I could only imagine the GT...My 4.6 was passed down by my older brother ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1423773912.385604.jpg

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Given your situation I would say just hold off until you're out of college and have a steady job. That way you won't be hurting for money after a car payment and not to mention insurance which at 18 will be pretty high.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Given your situation I would say just hold off until you're out of college and have a steady job. That way you won't be hurting for money after a car payment and not to mention insurance which at 18 will be pretty high.

Yes insurance is a ***** trust me!!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
And I have driven the v6, I gave the dealer dude a fake number so he wouldn't bug me. The v6 feels amazing I could only imagine the GT...My 4.6 was passed down by my older brother View attachment 175257

I am 21 bro I was in the same shoes as you but didn't have a car, I bought my 2012 brand new because I needed a reliable car. That being said I was a full time student as well as working full time with overtime. I was making a decent amount of money and had money left over after my car payment. If I was you I would wait, you already have a car. I am now out of college and with a federal job I still have my 2012 v6 and able to get a cobra if I wanted to but, I am not a fan of payments so ill keep my 2012.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
40 Posts

WAIT! Keep on with school hang in there and wait to grab a newer 5.0 for a bargain! By the time you're making better money you'll be able to pick up coyotes for the same price as that V6. Also it seems like the new coyotes in the '15s are getting HUGE aftermarket support so maybe check out one of those in a few years. I wish I was more patient when I bought my '14 v6 I had the money for a 5.0 but insurance was going to make me pay $400 a month so it was a no go! Patience is a virtue and hopefully you'll have a great opportunity in the near future. ☺

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
102 Posts
I always wanted a Mustang for like 10 years and just bought a 2012 V6 with only 13k miles a few weeks ago. I was going to get a GT, but am enjoying the low car payments and insurance equal to that of my old Ford Focus. Plus, I love this car!

My goal is to enjoy this car as my first Mustang, pay it off, build up more credit, and use it as a trade in for a new GT down the road.

My friends give me trouble and laugh that it's a V6, but my 305hp smokes all their stock Camrys, Civics, and Malibus that they drive. Plus, it looks way cooler!

ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424529342.109854.jpg

K

·
0 Posts
Hey Alexxx. The 2011s and 2012s are solid performers and have good style. Definitely see alot of potential in that car!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
287 Posts
True, I agree with you guys I would hate to pay for insurance lol. I have two jobs (YouTube) and (Walgreens) im getting decent paychecks but I'm going to college next semester Id rather not stress. Biggest issue I have no is deciding what I want to do, I thought about criminal justice as well as air conditioning since it's always a guaranteed job where I live. What would be a good down payment for a brand new mustang ? I will continue to save until after college :)

101 - 120 of 188 Posts