Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My transmission is getting a little notchy from first to second sometimes and I've read alot of people put synthetic in and it smoothes it right out! Any recamendations,or do I have to stay with motorcraft for warrenty purposes? Also I've heard some people say Ford issued a tsb and will replace it under warrenty? Any truth to that? Thx in advance.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
Lucas Transmission Fix, along with whatever is stated in your owners manual is what I would try first. I didn't know the getrags were known to be notchy?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Azure said:
Lucas Transmission Fix, along with whatever is stated in your owners manual is what I would try first. I didn't know the getrags were known to be notchy?
Is that an additive? Can it be added to stock transmission fluid or does it have to b synthetic? Thx

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
964 Posts
The Lucas is good stuff haven't tried it in the stang but I use to work at a diesel mechanic shop that worked on 18 wheelers and they said that was the best stuff money could buy .
It is an additive but I've seen people use just that and fill the whole differential with it. Cost a bit more but they said it made em last forever along with a smoother ride . Been thinking about trying it my self .

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flashjmg said:
I've noticed this too from time to time it happens. Hs it gotten worse? I've only had the car for 1.5 months
Its o.k if I dont shift fast but as soon as i shift quickly ill feel the notchy unpleasant shift quality between 1st and second and sometimes third.

·
Registered
278 Posts
MrMike said:
Its o.k if I dont shift fast but as soon as i shift quickly ill feel the notchy unpleasant shift quality between 1st and second and sometimes third.
Same problem. Keep us updated when you put the additive in there. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
20 Posts
manual trans

Ford issued a tsb on this. I live in Colorado and whenever it got cold my tranny was hard to shift until the fluid warmed up. Took it into the dealer and they changed out the fluid to full synthetic and now it shifts great no matter what the temp.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
Ford issued a tsb on this. I live in Colorado and whenever it got cold my tranny was hard to shift until the fluid warmed up. Took it into the dealer and they changed out the fluid to full synthetic and now it shifts great no matter what the temp.
Did they recommend a brand, like Mobile 1 ATF?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sandawilliams said:
Did you have to tell them about the tsb and enforce the issue or was done right away by your dealer? I'm wondering if ill have to force the issue....that said I really do have great service so I hope it will go smoothly.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You can find the TSB here, I was curious, searched, and found it on here.

View attachment TSB_2011-3-18.pdf

I'll be heading in to have this addressed asap, i've got a new MGW shifter coming and was going to change my fluid to a synthetic anyway.

Here's what they're recommending to have put in by dealers:

Motorcraft® Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid is specifically formulated for use in the DPS6 PowerShift twin dry-clutch transmission. It was designed as dual functioning fluid to protect gear, synchronizers and bearings, while also used to operate the transmission's shift mechanisms

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IanM said:
You can find the TSB here, I was curious, searched, and found it on here.

I'll be heading in to have this addressed asap, i've got a new MGW shifter coming and was going to change my fluid to a synthetic anyway.

Here's what they're recommending to have put in by dealers:

Motorcraft® Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid is specifically formulated for use in the DPS6 PowerShift twin dry-clutch transmission. It was designed as dual functioning fluid to protect gear, synchronizers and bearings, while also used to operate the transmission's shift mechanisms
Thx for the research but when I try to open it I get no image or file?!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Had the exact same problem, drained my tranny and out in 3.2 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic atf, cured my problem :). do it

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

NJstanger said:
Had the exact same problem, drained my tranny and out in 3.2 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic atf, cured my problem :). do it
My bad...a bit distracted at the moment, wrong forum oooops

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did they recommend a brand, like Mobile 1 ATF?
I mentioned that a tsb was out there on the trans issues and they looked it up and there was no problem with them changing out the fluid under warranty. I dont remember the tsb number but I am sure you can find it within this forum.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MrMike said:
Thx for the research but when I try to open it I get no image or file?!
Got it Thx, you guys rock!

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

sandawilliams said:
I mentioned that a tsb was out there on the trans issues and they looked it up and there was no problem with them changing out the fluid under warranty. I dont remember the tsb number but I am sure you can find it within this forum.
Tsb 11-3-18

1 - 20 of 60 Posts