Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mvfG_jEXosw
Hey guys I was recently watching scrolling through YouTube videos when I came across this one of an active spoiler that raises to slow down our cars. It's made by cdc but it was only a prototype. Just wanted you guys to know about this product although I assume it's been cancelled since it hasn't come out. I emailed CDC and am waiting on a response. One thing I noticed though is it raises every time the brakes are pressed which would probably ruin the motors after a couple thousand miles especially in stop and go traffic. I assume with some control module hooked up to the speedometer so it would only raise after 60 mph or something it would be a really good idea.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Motor replacement wouldn't be bad after its been installed. Might even have an on-off switch. A lot of 'high end' sports cars have this feature ( kind of like this) on their cars. I think its cool but probably would not want to install one on my Mustang :(

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I probably wouldn't install it either as it looks like it requires opening huge holes in the trunk. I've seen the sports car one but I don't think they activate unless it's at high speed or possibly if brake is pressed down enough. It's just a cool idea and something different so it caught my eye.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I'm guessing that thing would have little to no affect on braking, even at the highest legal speeds.
Wait for the ricers to hear about this. I'll buy stock in that company.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
They've done this on the miatas for a while. They take the first gen pop up headlight motors to actuate the motion of the wing under braking. Motors in this case really don't have a "duty cycle," so they're basically just on or off. This will let you set up when they come on as a percentage of brake pedal application, such as like 75-80% + the wing will activate.

Assuming it is not just bolted to the trunk, but actually to the frame and supported properly, it will actually have a surprising affect on braking. Enough in fact, that you may find your brake bias out of whack and the front being pulled up without some sort of front splitter to balance it out. Assuming the front does get pulled up under heavy braking, you can imagine that will not end well.... Assuming however this is just mounted to the trunk, then it will do absolutely nothing except press the trunk lid down.

All in all its a solid idea i guess, but one that really serves no purpose on anything other than a car that is purpose built with the adjustability to handle something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK5wDfDK2Lk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well at the end of the video they tested on hardbraking of course we don't know other mods done to the car. All in all while a cool idea there's a reason it hasn't come out to the market in 6 years

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
well that's a start / stop event at like an autocross, it's not coming from 125-150 on the front straight of a track you know. You're right about there being a reason it never came to market though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts