Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a question I was in an accident on thanksgiving in my 2014 gt swerved to avoid an accident ended up hitting a tree. My driver air bag deployed any idea what they are going to do seeing as how it's under recall with no parts to fix? Has anyone had this problem yet. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
idk but assume you'll be at the top of the list......until it's road worthy your insurance will cover rental car (if you have that coverage).

1st to say that sux assume you are OK at least you didn't hit anyone or their stuff

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have rental coverage. So the better come up with some kind of a plan

·
Registered
115 Posts
Although not ideal, its still drivable without the air bag. Heck, it may be safer driving it without an air bag in the car than it was with the recalled airbag in the car.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
You won't be able to drive the car legally until it's fixed.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I wonder if there's any truth to this statement that's about a year old now but had popped up in many articles.

"For a temporary fix, Toyota is instructing its dealerships to disable air bags and attach notes on vehicles’ glove boxes warning against riding in the passenger seat."

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
Reason is all fifth and sixth gen mustang have the recall. That's a lot of cars.

Pick your poison.

Captain obvious. I don't believe anyone was asking why. But cool input.

---------- Post added at 02:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 AM ----------

Are the airbag police going to pull him over?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they total loss the vehicle once they get it on a frame rack.

The front end parts on our cars are $$$ the fog lamps are 600 and your headlamp housing alone is 1000. It will add up quick.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Glad your ok. I wouldn't think anyone would know if your airbag is there or not.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they total loss the vehicle once they get it on a frame rack.

The front end parts on our cars are $$$ the fog lamps are 600 and your headlamp housing alone is 1000. It will add up quick.
Ya, I know what you mean. When I wrecked my 2010 GT, from the outside, the front end damage didn't appear to be real bad. Once inspected it was totaled with more that $10k in damage. The air bags didn't even deploy. Granted his car has a higher value than mine did but it really doesn't take much anymore o total a car.
That's why you see so many salvaged titled mustangs for sale these days.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Current estimate is at $11k lol. They say the can get the air bag parts also. So we'll see

·
Registered
7 Posts
Current estimate is at $11k lol. They say the can get the air bag parts also.
I believe that (on the airbag parts). I worked at a body shop in college, and occasionally when there was a parts shortage of some sort - the dealers could get the parts, but you had to provide additional data (like a valid VIN) in order to get the parts order to go through. I wouldn't worry about availability too much.

·
Super Moderator
17,864 Posts
I believe it. The airbags are pricey plus the ones in the seats deployed. Plus all Ford OEM parts plus whatever else they found with the subframe/front clip PLUS paint PLUS labor... adds up quick.

I'm assuming no chance of them totaling it even at $11k but damn...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts