Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for people that have already been helping me on my way, I finally got my air compressor and so far it works great but is there suppose to be a little bit of air leaking where the air ratchet connects to the hose? And also after about 20 min of use I can feel a little bit of condensation also coming out of the hose. Are these normal?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I see the problem... GMPP. Lol

A filter would help with the condensation issue. Make sure you oil the tools regularly , especially since there's condensation. :good:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

A filter would help with the condensation issue. Make sure you oil the tools regularly , especially since there's condensation. :good:
Your avatar is freakin cracking me up.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
So for people that have already been helping me on my way, I finally got my air compressor and so far it works great but is there suppose to be a little bit of air leaking where the air ratchet connects to the hose? And also after about 20 min of use I can feel a little bit of condensation also coming out of the hose. Are these normal?
There should be a valve on the bottom of the tank that you should open periodically to blow out any moisture. Just open it until no water blows out.
Did you put Teflon tape around the threads of the quick connects?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I know, GM tsk tsk haha. It was the best compressor I could get here in Alaska that had better HP then just 1.2 and had a good size tank. I also have a filter, ya just can't quite see it. It's all the way at the top but towards the back

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

There should be a valve on the bottom of the tank that you should open periodically to blow out any moisture. Just open it until no water blows out.
Did you put Teflon tape around the threads of the quick connects?
Thanks. I finally figured that out after messing with it but no I didn't put any tape around the threads. I'm guessing that will help me with the air leak?

Thanks again everyone for the help. It's good to know people are willing to help other people out

·
Registered
870 Posts
I know, GM tsk tsk haha. It was the best compressor I could get here in Alaska that had better HP then just 1.2 and had a good size tank. I also have a filter, ya just can't quite see it. It's all the way at the top but towards the back

I am not sure I see a water filter in the picture we are talking about one of these.
Google Image Result for http://www.automation4less.com/amg_html.gif

It keeps the water from getting into the air line which will cause damage to your tools. Oil the tools before each use drain the tank at night or after each use. Have fun.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, yeah I don't seem to have one of those. Need to go pick one up and what's the best way to oil the tools up

·
Registered
870 Posts
Ok, yeah I don't seem to have one of those. Need to go pick one up and what's the best way to oil the tools up
The old fashion way. Most tools come with a little bottle of oil that is made for air tools it is clear. Just place a drop it the air inlet hook up the hose and pull the trigger for a few seconds to make sure it don't spray all over. If not you can put an oiler inline after the water separator but if you are going to spray paint then you don't want the inline oiler. I like old fashion.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So now I have another problem. So the rusted nuts and bolts that caused me to buy the compressor and air tools still won't come off. Now I'm ready to just cut these b****** off. My question is there a saw blade I can hook up to the air hose and how much should that run me? Also, will it hook straight up to the hose or do I need an attachment handle

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
They make a small reciprocating type air saw, not sure how much, probably not too bad, most air tools are pretty cheap compared to electric. Are you using an air ratchet or an impact wrench? The air ratchet won't do much on those rusted ones, you really need an impact wrench to horse them off.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Liquid wrench or PB Blast and a impact wrench should get your nuts loose. There are stronger products like PB Blast of witch I can't think of the name right now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They make a small reciprocating type air saw, not sure how much, probably not too bad, most air tools are pretty cheap compared to electric. Are you using an air ratchet or an impact wrench? The air ratchet won't do much on those rusted ones, you really need an impact wrench to horse them off.
Yeah I've tried using the impact wrench. The problem with using either is that I'm trying to remove the shield that protects the front coil springs and the nuts and bolts have been loosened but for some reason get stuck halfway off. So using the impact on either side just spins the nut and bolt together. I've also tried putting a handheld wrench on one side for counter pressure but it didn't work as well. That's why I was just thinking of cutting all the bolts off

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Liquid wrench or PB Blast and a impact wrench should get your nuts loose. There are stronger products like PB Blast of witch I can't think of the name right now.
I've tried the PB blaster but like I just wrote to aggie, the nuts get stuck about halfway up the bolts thread and just doesn't move any more

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
soak them with liquid wrench, then have a buddy hold the opposite side with a socket and a long handled drive, or use a short cheater bar over the socket, if it's moved that much it should come out. But if you have enough bolt exposed you could cut them, too.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
soak them with liquid wrench, then have a buddy hold the opposite side with a socket and a long handled drive, or use a short cheater bar over the socket, if it's moved that much it should come out. But if you have enough bolt exposed you could cut them, too.
Is that the same kind of stuff as PB?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Similar, I use Liquid Wrench, but it shouldn't be that much different. As long as its a deep penetrating lubricant.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Can you tighten them back a little, then spray some penetrating oil and maybe clean the threads a little with a wire brush, then try again.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Similar, I use Liquid Wrench, but it shouldn't be that much different. As long as its a deep penetrating lubricant.
Ok I'll try that technique before cutting them off. Gotta call a friend for extra hands since I doubt the wife has that much strength lol

·
Registered
870 Posts
Is that the same kind of stuff as PB?
Yup PB blast is the stuff to use. Get a friend and a six pack have the friend hold the bolt with a wrench and a cheater bar (I use a piece of fence pole about 4feet long). Get the bolts off then have a cold beverage caution no cold beverages before attempting this I don't need to see a YouTube video of you going hey watch this.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Ok I'll try that technique before cutting them off. Gotta call a friend for extra hands since I doubt the wife has that much strength lol
With a long cheater bar 4 foot as suggested, it won't take a lot of strength to hold it. My wife loves helping me (LOL) especially if we're unloading sheetrock, but that's another story.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If it is taking that much effort to get the nuts off after being loos and half off, then I'm guessing the threads are messed up and you'll want new bolts anyway. Cutting them may be an option. I just don't like power tools that can hurt you in tight places. I've been bit once or twice. Lol.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts