Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I decided to get this combo but the only question I have on the tuner once i used it can i go back to the stock tune without the dealership knowing that it was tune? say for like a maintenance check up

·
Registered
23 Posts
arturo55 said:
so I decided to get this combo but the only question I have on the tuner once i used it can i go back to the stock tune without the dealership knowing that it was tune? say for like a maintenance check up
No, the sct tuner leaves a trace that they will see in the pcm. Wouldn't matter in the case of maintenance or a check-up. In the case of warranty work on the transmission, drivetrain or engine...that's a different ballgame.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the sct tuner leaves a trace that they will see in the pcm. Wouldn't matter in the case of maintenance or a check-up. In the case of warranty work on the transmission, drivetrain or engine...that's a different ballgame.
dam really?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Its not the tuner that would leave traces. Its the computer itself that actually logs ANYTIME something is plugged into the OBDII port. Even if u go to autozone to check the car it will log it. It will tell ford what was plugged in and if anything was altered.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Charlie_santos said:
Its not the tuner that would leave traces. Its the computer itself that actually logs ANYTIME something is plugged into the OBDII port. Even if u go to autozone to check the car it will log it. It will tell ford what was plugged in and if anything was altered.
The diablosport tuners don't leave a trace though, if what I have read is correct? How do they get around it?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Talk to your dealer. These tunes won't completely void a warranty. Call bama and get their input as well. I felt the same way but Bit the bullet and bought one. I don't plan on driving in the indie 500 anytime soon so I won't be going crazy on the public streets or freeways.

If I remember right; the void has to be result from the tune. But I get info from these threads, check with the dealer. That's the best option.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Talk to your dealer. These tunes won't completely void a warranty. Call bama and get their input as well. I felt the same way but Bit the bullet and bought one. I don't plan on driving in the indie 500 anytime soon so I won't be going crazy on the public streets or freeways.

If I remember right; the void has to be result from the tune. But I get info from these threads, check with the dealer. That's the best option.
Trust me ford has the smartest engineers and lawyers they can find a way to say ur new tune messed up anything u can think of thats connected to the computer

·
Registered
333 Posts
Trust me ford has the smartest engineers and lawyers they can find a way to say ur new tune messed up anything u can think of thats connected to the computer
That doesn't mean they will USE the lawyers. If you talk to your dealership, they'll most likely understand, and if they will still void the warranty, they'll tell you straight up. They're not the enemy, they want your service.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
That doesn't mean they will USE the lawyers. If you talk to your dealership, they'll most likely understand, and if they will still void the warranty, they'll tell you straight up. They're not the enemy, they want your service.
No they want you to PAY FOR THEIR SERVICE. If u try and do a warranty claim and see you tuned your car, have fun arguing with your dealer because at some point the manager will get upset and just get ur computer out of ur car and just send it to ford engineering and have them plug it in and pull out every single log and write up a long ass essay on why the tune ruined your warranty. Obviously the tune wont effect suspension or anything that is not connected to the computer (which is almost everything so ur screwed)

·
Registered
73 Posts
No they want you to PAY FOR THEIR SERVICE. If u try and do a warranty claim and see you tuned your car, have fun arguing with your dealer because at some point the manager will get upset and just get ur computer out of ur car and just send it to ford engineering and have them plug it in and pull out every single log and write up a long ass essay on why the tune ruined your warranty. Obviously the tune wont effect suspension or anything that is not connected to the computer (which is almost everything so ur screwed)
Dealers get paid to do warranty work. They like things to be covered under warranty because then they don't have to convince the customer to buy it. They will not go out of their way to void any warranty repair.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Dealers get paid to do warranty work. They like things to be covered under warranty because then they don't have to convince the customer to buy it. They will not go out of their way to void any warranty repair.
Trust me i have three friends that work at two dealers here. They see ppls cars get sent home because ford has deemed there car void. Changing the stereo will void your electronics warranty. I went to three dealerships here to see what they thought about it and they said do it at ur own will but dony expect ford to fix ur car when it messes something up. Even tho stereo upgrades are just plug and play now. If its a big problem thats going to cost ford money they will just void your warranty and give you a write up on why. If you don't like it they will rip out your computer send it to fords engineering department and have them dissect it for any information on what could potentially lead to mechanical failure of the car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Trust me i have three friends that work at two dealers here. They see ppls cars get sent home because ford has deemed there car void. Changing the stereo will void your electronics warranty. I went to three dealerships here to see what they thought about it and they said do it at ur own will but dony expect ford to fix ur car when it messes something up. Even tho stereo upgrades are just plug and play now. If its a big problem thats going to cost ford money they will just void your warranty and give you a write up on why. If you don't like it they will rip out your computer send it to fords engineering department and have them dissect it for any information on what could potentially lead to mechanical failure of the car.
I work in the service department at a ford dealer and these scares of voided warranties are so overblown. I won't say it's not possible but I've never seen any warranty repair denied because of a tune. Maybe dealerships where you live don't like getting paid but I promise techs love doing repairs under warranty and will not try to find a reason why it won't be covered.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I work in the service department at a ford dealer and these scares of voided warranties are so overblown. I won't say it's not possible but I've never seen any warranty repair denied because of a tune. Maybe dealerships where you live don't like getting paid but I promise techs love doing repairs under warranty and will not try to find a reason why it won't be covered.
All three dealers here in El Paso tx and back in chandler az stated a tune will void so many things on my car so for me to do it was not a smart plan.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

I need a service department like yours here hahaha

·
Premium Member
5,451 Posts
It's always best to talk with your local dealership prior to any performance part install if you're concerned about a warranty.

There are many here that have stated their dealership has worked with them for warranty work, so long as the performance part was not directly at fault.

Again, discuss this with your dealership. You'll get many answers, but only you and your dealership agreement will count.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Oh my God you little girls. You're buying a tuner from one of the most reputable tuning companies in te world. You will be fine, you're warranty is shot on the drivetrain mostly and you shouldn't have a problem. Bama warranties their tunes so you are fine. Any problems with the car running weird? Call bama. They will fix it and send you a revised version of your tune.

It's not like you have a monkey screwing over your computer in your car. Have some faith in people.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts