Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have to pull the heads off my 2001 Mustang Gt ... and well I was looking for parts online for my car and ran across DOHC heads.... If I bought those for my car what else would I have to do to the engine Or whatever else to make it work... or can it even be done.... how different is the GT block from the Cobra block ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
If the GT and Cobra are both 4.6 they are enterchangable. With the heads you may have to change the programming on the computer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
just cause they are both 4.6 dosen't mean they are interchangable the gt is a SOHC and the Cobra is a DOHC thats why I asked the question to me with an answer Like that it seems like you don't know what your talking about and I have no clue why your answer was chosen as the best

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you change the cylinde heads, you need a new intake, new valve covers, timing chains, and the emission parts are put at different places.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Um, I Race Cars...
You mean the 05-07 3 valve motors right? Oh and my 06 is an aluminum block car, not iron.

The one poster earlier was talking about a Mclaren motor.... actually the block is italian... Teksid. But the motor is pure ford v8.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There were two different Cobra engines. One was made by Ford, the other was made my McLaren. (If I remember right). The McLaren was totally different engine, although it was an overhead cam motor. It was not a Ford product at all. So what you need to do is contact your friendly Ford parts department. They can best answer your questions. AND save you a lot of money in the process.

·
Registered
45 Posts
wont work.... just go to karkraft.com buy something that will work on your ride instead of messing around with different heads and computer.the 04-07 4.6 3 valve motor for 2295 is a steal.. pony intake , 300 hp iron block stronger motor than stangs ....complete new engines

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dude you cant do it! If you have a 4.6 SOHC mill you cant just bolt on DOHC heads...Single Overhead Cam is a totally different animal than its Double Overhead Cam brethren. DOHC is fairly exotic and primarily used in high rev, high performance applications. A DOHC V8 motor has a total of 4 camshafts, one for intake valves and one for exhaust valves on each bank. Your SOHC mill has a total of 2 camshafts, one on each bank operating both the intake and the exhaust valves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts