Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a sound and this started when I put my long tube headers on. My "buddy" drove the car to Shawnee for me and I found out later he hit 140 in it messing around. Which I was ok cause the car was fine. So I didnt have the cash to buy my full exhaust so I ran open headers on it. Well as you know with open headers there are a lot of noises so I paid it no attention. But it's almost a grinding noise and it only does it when the car is in motion. So anyway today I finally for my full exhaust on. There's a separate thread about it. But anyway we got the exhaust on and started it, rev'd it and no exhaust leaks! Well I pulled out and rolled my windows down and that same noise was there. I immediately thought (exhaust leaks) so I turned around and said hay fix it ya know? And he said reverse and come back In on neutral so i did. He said is you break pads? I was like what? He said ate those cheap brak pads and I said ya! Cause I bought freaking cheap a$$ brak pads. He said that the metal in the cheap pads is grinding on the rotar! And I had my buddy reverse and come back in and ya it sound like it coming from the wheel. But it's only the passenger side. He said most likely when my buddy did 140 he proly braked hard and it got that pad down to a metal spot. Idk I'm gunna try and replace the pads. But I want your guys opinion on what you think it is? It's a very dominant Noise guys. Thanks!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Can you feel any sort of a grind in the brake pedal when you brake?

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
It may have had nothing to do with your buddy doing 140. It could just be time for new brakes. Btw, you probably have one caliper sticking if your pads are worn down more on one side then the other.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I can't feel grinding. And I mean I replaced the pads proly about 7 months ago. But they were shi**y ass pads! And ya he said that to about the caliper told me to get a good set of ceramic pads and new set of clips. The rotars are brand new.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
2003mustangGT said:
No I can't feel grinding. And I mean I replaced the pads proly about 7 months ago. But they were shi**y ass pads! And ya he said that to about the caliper told me to get a good set of ceramic pads and new set of clips. The rotars are brand new.
If they are grinding they won't be new long.
Even the cheap $20-30 pads should last longer then 7 months unless you've been on a road course.. If the grinding sound is not linked to the brakes by either wheel speed or or the pedal then you are barking up the wrong tree.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
2003mustangGT said:
Pull the wheels off and look!.. You'll be able to tell then if you've got metal on metal going on!..

·
Registered
598 Posts
Eturner said:
Pull the wheels off and look!.. You'll be able to tell then if you've got metal on metal going on!..
What he said

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It only grinds when I'm moving if I stop it stops. And at high speeds I can't hear it but maybe it's Because of the wind. But like I said if my wheel is moving its makin thy hideous noise. They guy said that I just got to a part of the pad where there is a lot of metal an it's grinning on my rotar.

·
Registered
598 Posts
U should be able to see on the rotor where it is grinding.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
DaBluedude said:
Could be a wheel bearing too.
I agree with dablue i would say it may be a wheel bearing. It makes a grinding noise while not braking then its a wheel bearing. It makes noise while braking it metal on metal.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok i went to auto zone the guys said he thinks it the caliper and it's sticking and the caliper. Braket is seized up. I also figured out that it not does it when I drive straight but if I turn sharp right it stops if I turn left it gets worse? Idk! It's only on the pass side yet? What should I do?

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
Ok i went to auto zone the guys said he thinks it the caliper and it's sticking and the caliper. Braket is seized up. I also figured out that it not does it when I drive straight but if I turn sharp right it stops if I turn left it gets worse? Idk! It's only on the pass side yet? What should I do?
It sounds like your caliper pistons are sticking. I don't know much about handling a seized caliper, but I know they sell rebuild kits for the pistons in the caliper. That might be cheaper than buying a new caliper.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
2003mustangGT said:
Idk man, that's starting to sound like a wheel bearing. Btw, don't listen to the ****sticks at Autozone. They don't have to have any experience to earn minimum wage and push parts there.

You're gonna have to jack up that wheel and check it out thoroughly. Get it off the ground and see if it has any play left to right then try up and down. If its tight you're gonna need to pull the wheel off and see if you can inspect your brake pads.

Can you post a sound clip of the noise?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya I'll try and get one done tomorrow and put it up

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

Have bay pics or info on what I should be looking for if it's the bearing or caliper or what have you?

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

2003mustangGT said:
Ya I'll try and get one done tomorrow and put it up

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

Have bay pics or info on what I should be looking for if it's the bearing or caliper or what have you?
Any*

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Slow2V said:
Your so called Buddy should buy them

He wouldnt be my buddy anymore If someone pulled something like that in my mustang
+1 a swift kick in the balls would be essential

·
Registered
112 Posts
No one drives my car that's my solution!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts