Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After replacing every idler pulley on the 02 GT I can clearly hear the alternator dying. Yes, all of the idler pulleys died at once. The sound was impressive, and the bearings were even more so when I looked at them in my hand.

Now I have a buzz coming from the alternator that was never there before. Most of you guys told me the alternator was going out, and that was the cause of my faulty cam position sensor reading. I replaced the sensor and that issue went away, and I thought I was good with a $20, three minute repair.

I know I need to replace the alternator. However, I am not exactly in the position to shell out money for a new one at the moment. Now I am trying to diagnose what could be wrong with the alternator, and weigh the chance of me replacing whatever may be broken.

The symptoms are simple; I have a buzzing whine that get louder with each accessory I turn on. For example; If I turn on the headlights the noise comes up in volume. If I press the brakes the noise increases more. If I turn on the defrost or AC I get even more noise.

The weird thing is that the alternator is still charging properly. It makes no sense to me.

Who here is the alternator guru with an answer?

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
I recommend watching some YouTube videos on how to rebuild a Ford alternator. That will give you an idea of what is involved, and if you think that you have the tools and expertise to do the job.
It looks like a rebuild kit is around $50.

You could also find out which other vehicles use the same alternator, and search around at your local wrecking yards for a suitable working replacement. And check the local Craigslist auto parts ads for any cars that are being parted out.

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
My vote goes to the wrecking yard option. There are now lots of Mustangs starting to appear at junkyards, so low mileage used parts are becoming plentiful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts