Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have my second project and its maintenance related! Alternator went on the car. I ordered one from AM. Seems like an easy replacement. Never worked on a car before. I'm actually looking forward to it! I've built computer servers and installed ceiling fans, indoor/outdoor lights etc but this is a new breed. :) earlier this month I installed the iSimple Gateway. That was easy but getting under the good should be an experience!

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Under the HOOD that is. ;-)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Its really easy. Get a friend, its tough to get your hand in the tight spots alone. Just get a breaker bar and couple of wrenches and your good to go. Took me and a friend about 10-15 mins

·
Registered
359 Posts
I replaced mine as well an it was simple. Got the higher amp alternator and now need to figure out how to keep the lights from brightening or dimming based on the throttle. Not anything serious at least.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Well I have my second project and its maintenance related! Alternator went on the car. I ordered one from AM. Seems like an easy replacement. Never worked on a car before. I'm actually looking forward to it! I've built computer servers and installed ceiling fans, indoor/outdoor lights etc but this is a new breed. :) earlier this month I installed the iSimple Gateway. That was easy but getting under the good should be an experience!

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Under the HOOD that is. ;-)
Did you have any signs of it before it took a dump on you I think I made need a new alternator soon as well :/ hope not

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you have any signs of it before it took a dump on you I think I made need a new alternator soon as well :/ hope not
Yes though I've only had my car 3 weeks. ;-) when I bought it I noticed the battery was having problems. Looked and the battery is brand new and it checked out. Talked to a guy at work who owns 3 mustangs and said the alternator was flawed in the 2005 timeframe. Only lasts around 75k miles. My car has 84k and I noticed battery having problems still after running it. Also headlights dimming when I idle. That's a good sign also.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yes though I've only had my car 3 weeks. ;-) when I bought it I noticed the battery was having problems. Looked and the battery is brand new and it checked out. Talked to a guy at work who owns 3 mustangs and said the alternator was flawed in the 2005 timeframe. Only lasts around 75k miles. My car has 84k and I noticed battery having problems still after running it. Also headlights dimming when I idle. That's a good sign also.
Mine just took a dump today I guess I jinxed myself >_<

·
Registered
916 Posts
Mine went to **** at 56k miles. I just replaced it. Didn't exactly go out on me but kept getting a check charging system message and the red battery icon would light up. And battery is new so the alternator was on its way out. Replaced it about a month ago and haven't thrown a code since.

·
Banned
102 Posts
My lights also dim at idle. I read on a few other forums that a diode goes bad in factory alt and throws a cam sensor code so your check engine light comes on. Mine did that last week anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No check engine lights here. I actually just replaced my alternator today! First time working on a car. What fun! Went to autozone to get it tested and the battery was already shot. :-( the date on the battery says 9/12 so I'm going to take it to a place that sells interstate batteries to see if they can swap it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I made it 22,000 miles so there must be a bad bunch out there
ABS light would come on then traction control then the radio and a/c would shut down and you would have a weird feeling when accelerating due to the throttle body getting a power problem

1 - 13 of 13 Posts