Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have steeda underdrive pulleys on my Mustang and my alternator went out what do I need to take off the pulley off the alternator

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
The alternator you buy to replace it should say the minimum and the maximum speeds it can be spun. They should provide formulas for you and instructions. After you check that you can use the steeds pulley on it, then I would worry about how to get it off the old one.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Seriously! Steeda is one of the manufacturers that own original Ford factory specs for most early stangs. The spin ratio is already included. The UDPs come with a pulley for the alternator. I have a Steeda kit. No worries , just swap. Do a search on my handle and find out. Thanks.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Las0mbra said:
The alternator you buy to replace it should say the minimum and the maximum speeds it can be spun. They should provide formulas for you and instructions. After you check that you can use the steeds pulley on it, then I would worry about how to get it off the old one.
Ford alternators use a locking washer to hold the pulley. Just unscrew it! No issues. Wear gloves, grab the pulley, easy with an air wrench.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Slow2V said:
Unscrew the bolt.holding.it.Lol

hammer.it off if its stuck
No hammers allowed in the engine area!!!!

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

cliffyk said:
Impact wrench to get it off, impact wrench and 75 lb-ft torque stick to put it back on...

HF has a nice set of torque sticks on sale for for $70 now, and often on sale for less. I've had a set for years...
Good and tight will do.

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

LAS97GT said:
Ford alternators use a locking washer to hold the pulley. Just unscrew it! No issues. Wear gloves, grab the pulley, easy with an air wrench.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

No hammers allowed in the engine area!!!!

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Good and tight will do.
Hand tight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts