Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a crap on me. Battery light was flickering on the way to work. Stayed on constant on the way home unless I got the RPM's up around 3000. Not too difficult to replace. I've done plenty. Just surprised it went at 85,000 miles. Think that's a bit early?

·
Lorraine's driver
8,213 Posts
I don't know, 85k doesn't seem too bad for the life. Plus being 13+ years old and all. What and where are you buying your replacement at? I'd like to know how your new one is and all. I'm sure I'll be needing one before too long lol.

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My daughters boyfriend is a tech at a Ford dealership, he's getting me new OEM. Replacing the tensioner while I'm at it. I get his discount so the total for the alternator and tensioner is right at $200. Which is cheaper than I can get just a rebuilt alternator from AutoZone. Cheaper than rock auto too.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I guess 85k isn't so bad second thinking myself. I should remember all the generator style cars I owned and how long they lasted. At least you could rebuild those on the kitchen counter at home. You should be thankful your daughters boyfriend has a job and gets Dad a discount.

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New alternator is in. Took about 20 mins. Probably the easiest alternator change I've ever done.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I had a 2000 GT and had the same issue around the 85-90k range also. I had mine rebuilt and if I remember it was around $150 for the shop to do it. And it was easy to replace! Ran it for another 80k with no issues. Traded her in with 175k on the odometer.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,213 Posts
I had a 2000 GT and had the same issue around the 85-90k range also. I had mine rebuilt and if I remember it was around $150 for the shop to do it. And it was easy to replace! Ran it for another 80k with no issues. Traded her in with 175k on the odometer.

I've heard of others rebuilding them too. I believe there's even a way to increase the performance with them too, though I don't know what it is exactly that gets an improvement. I'll post a link if I find that thread.

Did you replace the idler on yours when you replaced it back then?

·
Super Moderator
18,072 Posts
You only need that if you are looking at a system or something. 4V alternators are notorious for going out but not the 2V units. Eh... I can sell you my 34k mile original Ford from 2000 alternator if I can find it lol.

·
Registered
246 Posts
A friends went out on his '03 Cobra at 27K with the battery light visible at night faintly a while before it went out. My '98 Cobra was still working good at 147K though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts