Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,052 Posts
every 1lb of rotating = 10 dead weight or maybe a touch more and also single vs joint must help. If its 25lbs lighter thats like taking 250lbs out of the car, should add up to about what 15-20hp would feel like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
916 Posts
bradtaylornator said:
So what your telling me is yes its worth the money lol
Ya it's definitely worth the money especially if you plan on a lot of horsepower down the road.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,052 Posts
its CRAZY how expensive newer DS's are for 05+. Back when I picked up my 01 I purchased a very nice Ford racing DS for 150 bucks :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,551 Posts
GrabberBlue5.0 said:
Yea they're pricey, I can find them all day long under $600 used though
Would you for see a problem with a used one? I know there are some inferior brands out there, but if you found the one AM sells which looks like the steeda I think which is supposed to be really good, would it be worth buying?
 

·
The Blue Dragon
Joined
·
5,661 Posts
Buying a used driveshaft is about like buying used wheels, there's not a whole lot to mess up and there's really no functional parts to them, maybe u-joints but those are fairly cheap. It's not like buying a used supercharger or anything electrical, what you see is what you get, if it looks good, it's about 99% positive it is good.

So to answer your question, yes I think buying a used driveshaft is a safe buy, and I know where to get a shaft masters aluminum DS for the manual uses for $500, shaft masters is a good brand
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,782 Posts
SpectorV said:
every 1lb of rotating = 10 dead weight or maybe a touch more and also single vs joint must help. If its 25lbs lighter thats like taking 250lbs out of the car, should add up to about what 15-20hp would feel like.
Rule of thumb where I come from is 1lb rotating weight is equal to 4 lb of dead weight.

GrabberBlue5.0 said:
Buying a used driveshaft is about like buying used wheels, there's not a whole lot to mess up and there's really no functional parts to them, maybe u-joints but those are fairly cheap. It's not like buying a used supercharger or anything electrical, what you see is what you get, if it looks good, it's about 99% positive it is good.

So to answer your question, yes I think buying a used driveshaft is a safe buy, and I know where to get a shaft masters aluminum DS for the manual uses for $500, shaft masters is a good brand
False, they are balanced(to my limited knowledge). If you drop one or it is abused, it can be trouble.

Does anyone know if a GT drive shaft would fit in a 6? Or how the 13 GT drive shafts compare to the 12 GT drivenshafts?
 

·
The Blue Dragon
Joined
·
5,661 Posts
UltArc said:
Rule of thumb where I come from is 1lb rotating weight is equal to 4 lb of dead weight.

False, they are balanced(to my limited knowledge). If you drop one or it is abused, it can be trouble.

Does anyone know if a GT drive shaft would fit in a 6? Or how the 13 GT drive shafts compare to the 12 GT drivenshafts?
Wheels are also balanced, my point is that if there's an issue with it, it's generally pretty evident. Wheels can also be dropped and come out of balance

So not false
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,782 Posts
GrabberBlue5.0 said:
Wheels are also balanced, my point is that if there's an issue with it, it's generally pretty evident. Wheels can also be dropped and come out of balance

So not false
So it is easy to tell if it is unbalanced? I do not know much about them, I thought it would look the same being balanced and unbalanced.

So you are saying it is fine to use an unbalanced driveshaft? And are the GTs from 2011/2012 different from 2013, and do they fit on the v6?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
The newer driveshafts are telescoping. This is what makes them so much more than the previous " driveshafts. They are designed this way in the event of a rear end collison the shaft will compact and not go up into the gas tank. they are so precisely balanced, that if they are dropped, they cannot be used again. For me, this is why I'd shy away from a used one.
 

·
The Blue Dragon
Joined
·
5,661 Posts
So it is easy to tell if it is unbalanced? I do not know much about them, I thought it would look the same being balanced and unbalanced.

So you are saying it is fine to use an unbalanced driveshaft? And are the GTs from 2011/2012 different from 2013, and do they fit on the v6?
It would not be fine to use an unbalanced driveshaft, that can cause major issues with the drivetrain as well as total driveshaft failure at high speeds, and will cause driveline vibration at low speeds. if there is an issue it will fairly evident as soon as you start driving. Again, my point is that its generally pretty easy to tell if they have been damaged, a visual inspection will tell you most everything about it. and they're not all that delicate, they get bumped around during shipping no doubt, and the undercarriage of a vehicle is not immune to debris, and most can support 800+ hp, so they have to be built pretty sturdy. I would not be scared to buy a used one, so long as pics are provided. and yes 11-13 would all be the same, I'm not sure about the v6 though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,782 Posts
GrabberBlue5.0 said:
It would not be fine to use an unbalanced driveshaft, that can cause major issues with the drivetrain as well as total driveshaft failure at high speeds, and will cause driveline vibration at low speeds. if there is an issue it will fairly evident as soon as you start driving. Again, my point is that its generally pretty easy to tell if they have been damaged, a visual inspection will tell you most everything about it. and they're not all that delicate, they get bumped around during shipping no doubt, and the undercarriage of a vehicle is not immune to debris, and most can support 800+ hp, so they have to be built pretty sturdy. I would not be scared to buy a used one, so long as pics are provided. and yes 11-13 would all be the same, I'm not sure about the v6 though
When you say not sure about the v6, do you mean a change or if the GT works in a 6? And thanks for clearing that up about the balance, I thought ,a good drop would do it and it would not be easily noticed.

Is there a drive shaft difference between standard and auto?
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top