Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking into a new drive shaft for my mustang but I'm not sure what is better. I know the carbon is the lighter of the two but it is also not as torsionally stiff. In my mind that means it wouldn't be the best for the drag strip since you want your power going to the wheels and not into twisting the DS.... Am I correct in saying that the aluminum one is better for my application because it is more stiff even though the carbon weight about 2Lb's less?

I asked the manufacturer and this is what they said the carbon is the better choice but you have to think they would say that because it is also more expensive.... Here is what they had to say...

"the carbon is more torsional than aluminum but its what helps, diring loading it twists about 30 degrees so it will not shock the tires
loose. also when it unloads it does it at a slower rate then a Steel or aluminum so again its not shocking the tires loose. most cars
will see a .01 to .003 60ft increase alone from this shaft. "

Is this true? What's the better choice for my application?
USA-

·
Premium Member
14,462 Posts
1 pounds rotational mass equals about 6 pounds or dead weight. So the CF is lighter, but I believe for drag racing your best choice would be the aluminum.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not going to go much over the 500 or 600 HP mark so most of the aftermarket shafts will work for my application. I'm just trying to figure what would be better for my application. Not to mention I can't find an aluminum shaft in stock but I know of a place with the carbon ones.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
I'm not going to go much over the 500 or 600 HP mark so most of the aftermarket shafts will work for my application. I'm just trying to figure what would be better for my application. Not to mention I can't find an aluminum shaft in stock but I know of a place with the carbon ones.
AM just got there one piece aluminum driveshafts back not more than 10 days ago. I know this because I ordered one and was delivered three days ago. Good lord. What did they sell all of them in a week and half

1 - 11 of 11 Posts