Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/10/04/huntersville-based-american-tire-distributors.html

I post this because in the article is this sentence: ATD has been hit hard by shake-ups in the industry, such as companies like Goodyear and Bridgestone deciding to distribute their own tires and Amazon.com making plans to enter the tire business.

I will need tires next year, after the winter snows. I didn't know Amazon was getting into the car tire business. Could this bring tire prices down?

Any thoughts? :uhh:

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
Amazon has had tires on their site for years, nothing new there, but looks like they are going to step up to be an actual distributor like tirerack/discount tire now.

Amazon is great for car parts too, good practice is to get part numbers off of Rockauto and bump them on Amazon. I've saved a bunch of money with Prime shipping on heavy **** this way although a lot of the time Rockauto will still be substantially cheaper.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amazon has had tires on their site for years, nothing new there, but looks like they are going to step up to be an actual distributor like tirerack/discount tire now.

Amazon is great for car parts too, good practice is to get part numbers off of Rockauto and bump them on Amazon. I've saved a bunch of money with Prime shipping on heavy **** this way although a lot of the time Rockauto will still be substantially cheaper.
I use Amazon to get prices and then Wikibuy will automatically search for a cheaper price. Lately, I've found some good deals on eBay, with no tax and free shipping. So I guess we are doing the same thing! lol

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
What tire brands does ATD make?

I've been a bit afraid to buy auto parts on Amazon. I'm always concerned it will be listed as the name brand I want and then arrive as another name brand. Also, and I don't have any proof of this, but I've always wondered if manufacturers send sub-spec parts to Amazon and eBay, because they think it will be easier to pull it off.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
We just had a new Amazon distribution center come into our town...sounds great and my wife buys a lot of stuff of them as a Prime Member. Buying tires is kind of crap shoot in my mind...kind of like buying name brand parts off Ebay. What happens when you have a warranty issue...I bought some Toyo F1 tires for my Mini Cooper, nice driving summer tires although when I had an issue the Ebay distributor told me to contact Toyo and you can guess what Toyo said...no warranty. Luckily I have a friend that manages a Les Schawb tire center and he personally took care of for me. When buying online be very careful...just like RockAuto...if you have an issue how long is going to take to resolve the issue???
A lot of parts stores like O'Reilly and Auto Zone will try and match prices from Amazon although I'm not sure about Rock Auto. Try and support local stores rather than take your business out of your town or State...IMHO

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[/COLOR]What tire brands does ATD make?

American Tire Distributors only distributes tires to resellers, as far as I know.

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
We just had a new Amazon distribution center come into our town...sounds great and my wife buys a lot of stuff of them as a Prime Member. Buying tires is kind of crap shoot in my mind...kind of like buying name brand parts off Ebay. What happens when you have a warranty issue...I bought some Toyo F1 tires for my Mini Cooper, nice driving summer tires although when I had an issue the Ebay distributor told me to contact Toyo and you can guess what Toyo said...no warranty. Luckily I have a friend that manages a Les Schawb tire center and he personally took care of for me. When buying online be very careful...just like RockAuto...if you have an issue how long is going to take to resolve the issue???
A lot of parts stores like O'Reilly and Auto Zone will try and match prices from Amazon although I'm not sure about Rock Auto. Try and support local stores rather than take your business out of your town or State...IMHO
Be careful what you wish for, lots of documented cases of towns being ****ed royally when one of those distro centers comes in. Drives any competition out of business and either you work there or you might not work. That is if you don't have another marketable skill which a lot of ppl don't. Pay is not great, Bezos just said he's increasing the minimum wage but what isn't reported enough is Amazon is gutting stock options for employees and other benefits to make up for it on their end. They also have so much automation that the jobs they kill from small businesses do not get replaced.

Thanks. I was wondering if they were like a huge manufacturer or something. I guess that makes sense given their name.
Just a middleman. Just a matter of time before other companies like them go under.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts