Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a JL Audio Powerwedge powered subwoofer. Just a couple weeks ago it just stopped working, I tried hooking up my brothers amplifier to my subwoofer and nothing happened. We also tried doing different RCAs and still nothing. Would that mean my amp is toast or I have some different problem.

I know it's not my stereo deck because I am running the stock Mach 460 speakers off of it (they require RCAs to work off of an aftermarket deck) they plug into 2 RCA Y adaptors that run into the subwoofer/audio out RCA plug in.

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you tried another amp an it's doing the same thing, I would say it's not the amp. Check to make sure that a connector hasn't come loose from the sub itself. If that looks good, hook the sub directly to one of our rear speaker (a simple jumper will suffice) and see what you get. If still nothing, the voice coil on the sub is bad and needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. I'll try that once I get some free time. I really really hate driving without a subwoofer.

There is the possibility that we didn't hook up my brothers amplifier correctly but I don't think that's the issue

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Did you ever get that problem figured out? Was it a power issue?

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. Haven't taken a look at it. I dot believe its a power issue. I put a test light on it and the amp was getting power so I'm not sure. However I just lost my job so I'm not gonna fox it for a while

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I went and used a volt meter on my amp. It put out a max of 8 volts do its gotta be the subwoofer itself.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You can test that by jumping your amp to one of your regular speakers as long as you unplug it's other source. And keep the volume extra low. It is sounding alot like your sub and that will test it if you don't have another sub to test it with...

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ruthless said:
You can test that by jumping your amp to one of your regular speakers as long as you unplug it's other source. And keep the volume extra low. It is sounding alot like your sub and that will test it if you don't have another sub to test it with...
I've got a brother with 2 kenwoods so I just gotta get off my butt and test it on his.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well get going!!! Lol. I dont know how long my system was down until I finally looked into it and it ended up being a loose wire... I was so mad at myself I rode around for like two months without bass for no reason. So here I am as your motivator. Get up!! Go test it!

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know it's not any loose wires. I pulled my deck out and checked those, I regrounded my ground, checked the RCAs. I checked like every wire.

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's my guess. What confuses me is that I've only had it in for maybe 8 months with a 250w amp and a woofer that's rated to 300w

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a JL Audio Powerwedge. A JL WX woofer with a 250W JL amplifier.

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hm I'll have to look that up tomorrow. I ordered it off of Crutchfield under the powered subwoofer category.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
JDF, let us know when you Test a different speaker on it, to see if it is the Subwoofer thats the problem.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Don't do anything to void a waranty. Crutchfield is a good company and they have always done right by me. I almost guarantee they will do something for you to replace it at little or no cost to you. Never hurt to ask.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts