Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Mustang has been tramlining very badly since new.....and I thought perhaps it was just the nature of the car or the stock Pirelli tires. The car would dart from side to side severely when crossing those highway ruts.
I bought 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ tires a couple of weeks ago, and immediately took the car in for a professional alignment.
The alignment tech told me that both the toe in (both sides) and the camber on one side were quite a ways off.....AND that the factory never aligns a car very closely....and every new car, when purchased should be brought in for a correct-spec alignment. Makes sense...because after this alignment, our Mustang tracks on RAILS...even right across those deep studded tire ruts our roads have here.
Part of the new-found straight ahead discipline of the car may be due to the new tires, as the edge of the sidewall on the Michellin’s is a little more rounded than the old Pirelli’s.....but where the car had to be driven with two hands before, I am now completely comfortable with one hand resting on the bottom of the steering wheel ....the car has been tranformed in the way it drives!
If you’ve never aligned your Mustang since new, I can strongly recommend you do so.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Stock alignment, wheels even wheel balancing are "ok" from factory. As in 2 notches below "great", and right above "bad". There are always "duds" and bad jobs though from the factory. Sounds like you got a "Monday build", the technician was hung over and did a crappy job at the factory.

One of the first things I usually do with my cars is to buy a good set of lightweight wheels & tires, get them high speed balanced. And have an alignment IF things aren't perfect after the new wheels.

Stock wheels are just so damn heavy, they really hurt performance (acceleration & braking), overall handling, & bump handling, etc.

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Yes. And just the new suspension settling over time will change the alignment settings.
If you ever have the opportunity, sit in the driver's seat while the car is on the alignment rack and watch how much the different settings will change.
Also, the factory alignment specifications is typically a pretty wide range. A good alignment tech, that knows what they are doing, (Rare) can tighten up the steering by making the correct adjustments within the factory specifications.

Did they have to make any adjustments to the rear end, Guard?
Or was it within factory tolerance?

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. And just the new suspension settling over time will change the alignment settings.
If you ever have the opportunity, sit in the driver's seat while the car is on the alignment rack and watch how much the different settings will change.
Also, the factory alignment specifications is typically a pretty wide range. A good alignment tech, that knows what they are doing, (Rare) can tighten up the steering by making the correct adjustments within the factory specifications.

Did they have to make any adjustments to the rear end, Guard?
Or was it within factory tolerance?

I was quoted the price, and was ready to pay for a 4 wheel alignment job...but an honest shop is a good thing to find, and they looked at the rear IRS and then said the rear was spot on, so they only charged for the front.....nice!:thumb:

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm debating on my next set of tires and I'm torn between the Michelins or Continentals. Are you 100% satisfied with Michelins?

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm debating on my next set of tires and I'm torn between the Michelins or Continentals. Are you 100% satisfied with Michelins?
I’ve put about 500 miles on them, both freeway, and very curvy country roads, taken moderately aggressively.
Compared to the (crappy) stock 18” Pirelli’s (non PP suspension), I will say with certainty that the Michelin sidewalls are more robust, leading to improved steering response, but a slightly more brittle ride quality....A trade off I was more than willing to make with 18” tires on a non-PP Mustang. The Michelin’s do seem to corner extremely well, not making ANY noise at velocities that the Pirelli’s used to hiss or start to squeal.....I would for sure recommend these tires for replacement — you will like them. But shop around — there was a $200 difference between a couple of the tire shops I priced out. I did find a $100 refund was available the weekend I bought them, so that made a difference as one shop was not offering that.....
The Michelins do have much deeper tread depth than the Pirelli’s when new, so they do for sure LOOK like an all-season tire, but I still think they look pretty....I like them.

I was also told that the Conti’s sidewall was pretty squishy, and while offering a luxurious ride, they did not handle or steer particularly well compared to the Michelins......

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And......three of the new Michelins balanced up with NO added weight, and one took only 1/2 ounce!! I think that speaks to the quality of the tires, as when was the last time you heard of new tires balancing up with NO added weights or only a 1/2 ounce?
And the balancing is perfect, and there is no steering wheel vibration at all, even at (ahem) high speed......

·
Registered
107 Posts
How many miles did you get out of the stock tires? Did you rotate them? Did you notice any uneven wear pattern on them?

My 2017 has been getting worse about darting back and forth over the longitudinal lines in the road; to the point that I had a front end alignment done this spring (at the dealer). The tires are worn out on the inside... all four are the same. I'm guessing that the rear camber is off on both sides, and I need a good 4 wheel alignment and a new set of tires. Not sure that I trust the dealer to do a decent job on the alignment, though...

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How many miles did you get out of the stock tires? Did you rotate them? Did you notice any uneven wear pattern on them?

My 2017 has been getting worse about darting back and forth over the longitudinal lines in the road; to the point that I had a front end alignment done this spring (at the dealer). The tires are worn out on the inside... all four are the same. I'm guessing that the rear camber is off on both sides, and I need a good 4 wheel alignment and a new set of tires. Not sure that I trust the dealer to do a decent job on the alignment, though...
I got 19,600 miles out of the Pirelli’s...and rotated them every 5,000 miles. I was going to take them to 20K, but noticed that the inside 1/4 of the tread on both of the front tires was GONE.....time for a change for sure!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts